Home Q & A Forum

Coin shop

Hi so i just took my coin shop online, its pretty new and doesnt have much content yet. But i was hoping some of you might share some thought on what you would like to see on an online coin store (besides coins for sale) like what kind of information? What kind of things would keep you coming back to a coin store? Heres a link if you want to check it out and give me some feedback
http://www.timidpenny.com
Any feedback would be appreciated

Comments

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

If your serious in dealing coins. you should provide your mailing information email phone number to contact you.

Also the price for your Lincoln Cent Mint Error is pure fantasy and that lowers any credability your attempting to make by posting your site here.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget the angled images. Check your focus. Me, I don't like the way your site loads, way to cluttered with distracting overlays. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 7:34AM

Was going to yesterday and then decided not to send you a note....then.
    in simple language: your site has so many technical, grammatical and spelling errors that it does not bring me back.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to pile on, and no offense intended, but you did ask for feedback....

I agree with all the above comments.

The one takeaway I had was that apparently anyone can be a "coin dealer". It seems from your descriptions and "inventory" that you do not know a huge amount about coins. Now, that in itself is not a crime by any means, but people want to think their coin dealer has a certain level of expertise. My impression is that you are a fairly new collector who is learning about coins while you are trying to be come a dealer.

Some random observations:

1) The name of your business is OK - it is fun and whimsical. But, of course, the US has never issued a "penny" and yet that term makes its way into every description of a cent.

2) You should get a Redbook and study it - you are a little short on facts in your descriptions. For example, a Flying Eagle Cent is not a "copper penny". FEs and early Indian Head Cents are made from a copper-nickel alloy and are usually referred to that way to differentiate them from the later "copper" (bronze, actually) cents.

3) It seems to me that you bought huge quantities of common or junk coins and are trying to sort them and squeeze more value out of them. Common wheat cents, low grade Buffalo nickels, and corroded ancients.

4) There are no grades (good, very good, fine, etc.) attached to any of your coins, and you state that most of your early wheat cent coins are "rare" or "very rare".

5) Many of your coins are cleaned and/or damaged.

6) Prices for some coins are nonsensical, such as the common minor error Lincolns that someone mentioned earlier.

7) You have a supposedly unidentified ancient gold coin that is caked in green verdigris. That leads me to believe that it is actually a (worthless) corroded bronze coin.

In summary, I think your site is geared toward people who know nothing about coins.

But, you obviously put some effort into it, so good luck!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of stuff.