Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1964 SMS coins?

In a different thread I stated the silver 1964 Kennedy was a MS & Proof only issue. Then I went to the PCGS pop report looking around and saw PCGS has graded 9 SMS 1964 Kennedy's.
But the PCGS price guide does not list any SMS Kennedy's for 1964 just proofs and circulation strikes. The same holds true for the cent, nickel, dime, & quarter.

There is no designation of Cameo or Deep Cameo for the 1964 SMS coins like there is for the later dates.

Can anyone explain this for me? What was the difference between the 1964 SMS and the 1965 and later SMS coins. If there are SMS coins for that date why don’t PCGS list a price for them.
Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1965 the mint was producing 1964 and 1965 coins. They were experimenting to find
    a suitable replacement for the proof set. They tried several things and some of them
    were on 1964 dated coins. On the later sets they used three different processes to
    make the SMS coins, but there's only one type of the '64 SMS's apparently.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    As I understand it, there were a very limited number of "specimen" sets issued to certain prominent individuals in late 1964. They are different from the 65-67 SMS coins. They do show up from time to time on Teletrade and the prices are fairly high. I know some board members have seen some of these coins and can comment on their appearance. They are supposed to be quite nice, but some apparently suffer from spotting. I think the numbers made were <50.?.? Someone else can correct me on some of this info...maybe give more exact #s and so forth...
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    I Was told there was 10 sets made. Never saw any of them myself.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

From the research I've done about 10 - 15 sets 1964 SMS were made by the mint. I was told one dealer purchased the majority of these sets and has been selling them off over the years.

I have a 1964 SMS Jefferson MS68FS purchased at the FUN show this year. The coin has a satiny appearance. I actually examined two coins - the other was a MS67 Jefferson. This coin even though a total production of less than 15 coins did not have full steps. Just goes to show how difficult some Jefersons are in FS. I would post a picture, but the coin is at the bank.
    Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bowers just auctioned off a 64 SMS dime graded 65 last week. I almost bought the coin because I was experimenting with the ebay "live auction" format and placed a bid on that coin to see how that worked. Bowers had estimated the price as between $1,000 and $2,500 and my bid was for $1,000. I thought for sure I was going to be easily outbid but the coin sold for only $1,100. And, if I had been at my computer when it was being auctioned, given how relatively inexpensive it went for, I think I might have bid a few more times to see if I could actually win it.

The coin has a lot--a whole lot--of die polish lines across the entire obverse. Not a stunningly beautiful coin, but certainly an interesting one.

Mark
    Mark