Home Sports Talk
Options

Has there ever been any analysis on the outcomes from Rickey's stolen base records, Safe and caught

HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2, 2020 10:30AM in Sports Talk

How many times did Rickey end up scoring with the 1400 stolen bases where he wouldn't have if he didn't steal the base. How many times if he hadn't stolen the base would he have scored anyway, and how many times Rickey got caught stealing and if he hadn't attempted the steal would he have scored. (understood each would be situational)

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paging Dallas.... Mr. Dallas.....Paging Mr.Dallas.....

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2020 1:27AM

@Horse said:
    How many times did Rickey end up scoring with the 1400 stolen bases where he wouldn't have if he didn't steal the base. How many times if he hadn't stolen the base would he have scored anyway, and how many times Rickey got caught stealing and if he hadn't attempted the steal would he have scored. (understood each would be situational)

How much pressure did Rickey put on the defense and the pitcher by just being on base causing causing rushed throws, errors, wild pitches, fast balls to hitters etc . That will never show up in stats. He was a disrupter.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that he affected the game much more than will show up on the stat sheet, but it would be nice to see the data.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

oh yeah, agreed.. pitchers had little butt twitches going on when he was leading off first. No way to correlate everything in to this. Just inquiring if there was ever any analysis like that done.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw him play for the Modesto A's before he went to the bigs. Exciting!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

The game will need to change in a significant way if Henderson's steals record is to ever be challenged. If a player stole 70 bases for 20 years in a row, he would still be behind Rickey.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 9:23PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    I agree that he affected the game much more than will show up on the stat sheet, but it would be nice to see the data.

Somewhere in the bowels of a dimly lit Texas basement lurks a man with a piece of chalk and a chalkboard working on this very equation

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short answer to the question is "no", nobody has done that (or at least nobody has published it). The task would require play-by-play data for every game every played to do it for everyone, and nobody is ever going to bother doing it for just Henderson.

And the stat in question wouldn't mean all that much, because it would measure something that was team-dependent, and wouldn't reflect the contributions of just Henderson. If Henderson leads off with a single and steals second that's 100% of what you need to know to measure Henderson's contribution to scoring runs; anything that happens after that (unless he also steals third or home) will be up to the hitters who come up after Henderson.

All that said, there is a stat (Rbaser on bb-ref) that is an attempt to measure every player's individual contribution to producing runs, by assuming what comes after each SB and CS is "average", and the same for every player. On that basis, and I calculated this for the people who I thought of and might have overlooked someone, the players with the best career numbers for most runs added per season through baserunning are:

Willie Wilson: 9.1
    Vince Coleman: 8.9
    Ron LeFlore: 7.7
    Henderson: 7.6
    Raines: 7.5
    Davey Lopes: 7.4
    Lofton: 6.1
    Aparicio: 5.7
    Otis Nixon: 5.1
    Ozzie Smith: 5.0

{I also calculated Morgan, Brock, Molitor, Pierre, Cedeno, Wills, DeShields, Harper, Ichiro, Knoblauch, Mays, Campaneris, and both Bonds. I did not calculate any of the old-timers like Cobb because CS wasn't an official stat, and was often scored differently than in modern years.}

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

I love me some Ron Leflore

m

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see Aparicio. GREAT shortstop!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set