Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

State and Local issued Confederate currency value

I have acquired a good amount of state and local issued confederate bills mostly from AL, GA, NC, SC, and VA. They are in Poor to Very Good condition with a few that might grade XF/AU. Can someone recommend a price guide or other valuation source for these? I have not found enough of them selling on ebay to get an idea of their worth.

Comments

• NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Completed Heritage auctions would be a good starting point, and you should be able to find most of what you are looking for there.

For books, the Whitman Bowers Encyclopedias can also be helpful, you would want Volumes 6, 7 and 8 according to the list of states you mentioned. If you don't mind used copies, you can find them on Amazon or eBay fairly cheap.

Hugh Shull also put out a Guide Book of Southern States Currency a while back that you will most likely want. It seems to be out of print now, but if you're patient used copies pop up on eBay from time to time. You can also get a kindle version pretty cheap on Amazon if that works for you.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be able to find many of them if you include completed items in your Ebay search. Heritage should have most of what you can't find on Ebay. The Shull "Southern States Currency" lists only the state issued notes but is very comprehensive including all known varieties and the book is fairly inexpensive.

If there are notes that you can't easily find with the references that you have available, post a few pictures and I (and others here) would be happy to identify and value anything.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Thanks guys. Trying to get a copy of the Shull book now.