Home Q & A Forum
Options

Possible double strike on backside of 1996 US Quarter.

On the backside bottom on the word dollar, the D looks doubled up and the O right next to it looks like a Q. What do you think? Get the pro's in on this....thanks

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't really tell form your pics.

Remember, "doubling" does not mean "doubled die". Virtually all doubling is machine doubling, which has no value, .

The Q might be from a hit the coin took - I think I see a small chunk of moved metal. Or, could be a die chip.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your photos are too fuzzy to say for certain, but it looks like some minor mechanical doubling which is not considered an error/variety. The O may have suffered a hit making it look like a Q.

You can check the following sites to see if there are any DDRs reported for your coin. The Doubled Die site also has a tab called “worthless doubling”, which explains the differences between hub doubling and mechanical doubling

www.doubleddie.com
    www.varietyvista.com

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I guess your right. But the O still has that pimple on the bottom.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 12:29AM

Welcome to the forum! :)

"But the O still has that pimple on the bottom."

As mentioned the first photo makes it look like it might have taken a hit. (PMD)

The second photo makes it look a little more like a die chip.

My dumb guess would be PMD.

Either way it would not add a premium to the coin.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to me to be a slight die crack coming off th bottom of the twig and thru the O. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye Namvet69 ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it may have taken a hit!