Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

EBay Sellers of Mint Condition Raw Cards

I typically use New England Sports Cards to purchase my mint condition raw cards, but they seem to be closed due to the pandemic. Would anyone be able to recommend a similar seller on eBay? Thanks in advance for any replies.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020 8:24AM

I wouldn't recommend purchasing "mint" cards from them as every one of their cards are the bulk leftovers from 4sharpcorners cherry picking. They sell anything that isn't grade-able for profit through 4sharpcorners. New England is still selling on ebay fwiw, so I am not sure they are closed.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about cards that might get a 10? You should be able to find mint cards that are slightly off center that might get a 9.

Are you looking for commons, or star players only?

What years/players are you looking for?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@secretstash said:
    I wouldn't recommend purchasing "mint" cards from them as every one of their cards are the bulk leftovers from 4sharpcorners cherry picking. They sell anything that isn't grade-able for profit through 4sharpcorners. New England is still selling on ebay fwiw, so I am not sure they are closed.

Your point is well taken. However they are only sending in select cards that they think are going to be 10's and (of course) sell for enough to cover the grading fees and make them a profit.

I am assuming they have thousands of cards that are in the 9 range and/or 2nd year cards or players that are stars, but not worth grading, even in a 10.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

I've had excellent success buying raw, mint cards from COMC. However, their current shipping time is 3+ months. If you can wait, that might be your best bet. COMC aside, I've had my best luck buying mint on eBay when the cards are described as NM-MT and not mint.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

ive purchased a few cards from NESC, one of which graded a 9.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    I've had excellent success buying raw, mint cards from COMC. However, their current shipping time is 3+ months. If you can wait, that might be your best bet. COMC aside, I've had my best luck buying mint on eBay when the cards are described as NM-MT and not mint.

That has simply got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard. 3 months to ship an item?? What am I not understanding?? How would they sell anything with service like that.

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Are you talking about cards that might get a 10? You should be able to find mint cards that are slightly off center that might get a 9.

Are you looking for commons, or star players only?

What years/players are you looking for?

I am working on completing a 1978 Topps Baseball set. I have most of the stars graded as PSA MINT 9, and I have been successful with the other cards being collected in the same condition. I have even been purchasing PSA MINT 9 commons, and cracking them out of their holders. This particular set is a passion project of mine, since the 1978 Topps Baseball cards were the first baseball cards that I collected as a kid.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    What do you do with them after you crack them?

You can probably find that stuff raw for way less in similar condition. They're only 9s in the holder.

Be gentle, Dustin. I understand that this is a very sensitive topic on the PSA forums. Just remember that I have no intention of selling this set. It is a passion project that I will take to the grave. Also, I do not crack the stars out of their holders.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, I do the same. A full graded set is a PITA to flip through, binders are where its at if you like to look at the cards.

And PSA 8 or 9 commons can be a far better deal then buying raw.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Love those 78s. Nice work.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look great! Looks like a really nice set.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

That has simply got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard. 3 months to ship an item?? What am I not understanding?? How would they sell anything with service like that.

Because of the pandemic. Their shipping time is normally fine.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

80s OPC, Bobby and Brad, thank you so much for your comments. I have been criticized for quite some time, and have simply ignored the criticisms. I could not agree more, 80s OPC. I love to flip through the binder. Like I said, I do not crack the stars out of their holders. That is my saving grace.

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve purchase from 71toppsman awhile back when I was collecting my 68 set and buying raw to have graded. At the time he was close but I only bought the ones he said was mint for a psa 8 and above grades. But that was awhile ago

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@lilmule said:
    I’ve purchase from 71toppsman awhile back when I was collecting my 68 set and buying raw to have graded. At the time he was close but I only bought the ones he said was mint for a psa 8 and above grades. But that was awhile ago

Thanks, Mike. While I have your attention, please let me know if you can make a box to hold 200 cards for me. I will need to store the stars in a beautiful home soon. Take care.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Love it, I do the same. A full graded set is a PITA to flip through, binders are where its at if you like to look at the cards.

And PSA 8 or 9 commons can be a far better deal then buying raw.

I have a compete 1975 Topps set on the registry with every card graded at least PSA 8. I have a complete 1975 Topps raw set in an album, and it's as good or better through and through than the graded set. It's not even close which one I look at more. Raw is where it's at.

I have a run of raw Topps sets from 1966, 1968-2019, all in albums. I will admit that I've cracked a few PSA graded cards out of their holders in order to get that done. It's not frequent, and it's usually some nobody, but absolutely, depending on the year and the player, it can be cheaper to buy graded and crack than to buy raw. Those of you that buy from Greg Morris know what I'm talking about. At some point, my OCD will require that I undertake the 1967 set, and I can almost guarantee that in order to finish the high numbers, I'll be buying a few PSA 6-8 to crack out rather than try to compete with the bankrolls/itchy trigger fingers of the raw buyers.

• Options

Thanks for the comment, Count Douglas. It is reassuring to know that I am not alone in my pursuits.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020 7:46PM

It is common for set builders to crack out PSA cards. My brother is working on a very high grade ‘67 set. I usually buy him graded HOFs for Christmas and Birthday typically PSA 8.5 and he will crack them to put in his binder. Easier for me to find them graded than raw.

• Options

Your brother has the right idea, Brad. Thanks for the comment.

• Options

@MikeyP said:
    80s OPC, Bobby and Brad, thank you so much for your comments. I have been criticized for quite some time, and have simply ignored the criticisms. I could not agree more, 80s OPC. I love to flip through the binder. Like I said, I do not crack the stars out of their holders. That is my saving grace.

I don't know why someone would criticize the way you collect.

Good luck in your search!

• Options
    ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭

PM sent

My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options

The best thing to do - buy from a seller who has multiple front and back pics and states mint or near mint with good feedback. View the pics on a larger device like PC or IPad. Also check that the seller accepts returns. I’ve had much success with this.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's be real. Isn't there too much subjectivity in grading to give any raw seller an honest chance? Reviews and crack outs are evidence enough, right? Not saying there aren't raw sellers out there to definitely avoid.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought some raw cards off eBay. I did get a few 10's mostly 9''s.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

Quite honestly, I am less concerned about being able to identify mint condition raw cards than I am concerned about a dishonest seller trimming their inventory.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love having my sets raw in binder. I do usually have key rookies in psa holders and have lesser condition fillers for the binders.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought all these raw off Greg Morris cards:

I bought these for 5-15$; the Willie McCarter was, 30$ I think?

These baseball were all bought for 5-10$:

I bought the Johnny Jeter for 7$; they messed up the scan so I took a chance.

I’m working on a mint condition (to me) raw set of 1975 baseball also. I have about 380 cards, and I bet I’ve gotten over half of them for the .79$ starting auction price.

Just search “gregmorriscards better” and it will show you all his listings he has that are “NM-MT OR BETTER”. The PSA’s above were bought with this description.

I also just sent off a two order submission totaling 118 cards ranging from 1949–1971, (39 1971’s I’m hoping all come back an 8 or better/ 79 cards for the CC #1 special).

Hope this helps!

Blaine

• Options

Thanks, Blaine!

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:

Its like I tell my kids "Like what you like" if you are cracking gems to put in a binder , well thats your business. Its not like you are spending someone elses money and sending them the cracked out card. Some people just cant mind their own business anymore. Raw is definitely where its at for the money. I love my graded cards , but I still buy raw all the time. I collect football hall of famers and these can be had for pennies sometimes in excellent condition. Good for you and enjoy your collection, good luck
    Jason

• Options

Thanks, Jason.

• Options

I purchased five mint condition raw cards from goldlucky. They are a seller on eBay who seems to have a decent inventory that suits my needs.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

How close are you to a set? I’d stick to the crackout strategy.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:
    How close are you to a set? I’d stick to the crackout strategy.

I currently have 86 cards remaining to complete the set. Unfortunately, I still have not purchased the Eddie Murray and Paul Molitor/Alan Trammell rookie cards. I will obviously keep those two cards in their holders. I hope to purchase a PSA MINT 9 Eddie Murray rookie card by the end of the year.