Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about a 60’s Baseball player - Rocky Colavito

So I’m sending in a card to be graded, a1966 Rocky Colavito I hope gets a PSA 8, maybe better. My question is, why is his cards so sought after? I’ve researched him and learned a lot of cool things about him (Cleveland curse, first outfielder to finish a season with 1.000 fielding, etc.). I also see he had quite the personality too! Lol. Is he more akin to Roger Maris; a player who should be in the baseball HOF but isn’t? Or because he’s beloved by Indians fans? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Indian fan here...The Rock was maybe the most popular Indian ever....up there with Feller, Boudreau, Thome etc. Great player and a great guy as well! The curse of the Rock says that we haven't won a world series because we traded him to the Tigers...

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Define sought after. I am guessing he doesn't sell any better than similar fan favorite stars. I could be wrong though, because I am not in the market for any. Is the 66 a SP, high number or both? That could explain that particular card, added to the fact he was a star.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

you want the 67, not the 66

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great name too.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

He'll be 87 on August 10th. Way to go Rocco!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a sure hall of famer until his stats dropped off a cliff at age 33.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thatguy822 said:
    you want the 67, not the 66

Ahh that must be it! Just couldn’t put my finger on it.

@mrmopar said:
    Define sought after. I am guessing he doesn't sell any better than similar fan favorite stars. I could be wrong though, because I am not in the market for any. Is the 66 a SP, high number or both? That could explain that particular card, added to the fact he was a star.

It must be the 67, not the 66, I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Thx!