Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 Gretzky BVG 9 sheet cut question

From what I have read sheet cut cards would never have the OPC rough edges. I have seen some BVG graded cards on major auction sites marketed as "sheet cut" and they all have smooth edges. This card looks pretty legit as a pack card with at least 2 rough edges but would like any opinions.
Thanks
Russ

Comments

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭

Looks fantastic to me

• Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

As a guy who likes his cards centered...a big thumbs up from me.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a pack pulled card...100%

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t seen many Gretzky’s with that configuration of rough cut. It definitely came from a pack. But I’d want to take a really close look at the left edge.

• habs007habs007 Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

one day PSA might grade post factory sheetcut cards - all cards started on sheets

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 4:38PM

Id guess it was sent to BVG for a reason and not PSA or SGC. I mean BVG has a rep for grading sheet cut hockey cards. Also the guy who graded most knows how to imitate the OPC factory cut. I think he uses a wire or something. So Id wager it was a sheet cut card.
    Sheet cut cards also have OPC rough cut edges as well.

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I agree with Frozen. The left edge needs a better scan/review, especially the lower left edge which looks suspiciously smooth(er).

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

@LGC said:
    I agree with Frozen. The left edge needs a better scan/review, especially the lower left edge which looks suspiciously smooth(er).

In other words, I think this may be a pack-pulled and altered card?!

• russkcparusskcpa Posts: 29 ✭✭

@handyman said:
    Id guess it was sent to BVG for a reason and not PSA or SGC

I agree with you 100%. There is a reason this card is a BVG and not PSA

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    Id guess it was sent to BVG for a reason and not PSA or SGC. I mean BVG has a rep for grading sheet cut hockey cards. Also the guy who graded most knows how to imitate the OPC factory cut. I think he uses a wire or something. So Id wager it was a sheet cut card.
    Sheet cut cards also have OPC rough cut edges as well.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have often thought that someone "good" at cutting cards out of a sheet would figure out how to mimic the rough cut.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • That is one pretty card! Love the rough cuts