Home Sports Talk
Options

12 players, 2 coaches on the Marlins test positive for COVID over the weekend

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

[https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads](Marlins home opener against Orioles canceled, Yankees-Phillies postponed.)

I’m surprised the season even got off the ground, tbh. I’ve gotta think it’s on life support at this point. The other clubs are naive to think this won’t happen to some of them, too.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020 8:43AM

this really was predictable, I was shaking my head when the announcement was made by MLB to play. the same for the NBA and I assume the NFL and NHL are paying attention.

I'm interested in stevek's take on this. also, galaxy27 sort of called it spot on.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

it didn't require even a rudimentary understanding of rocket science to make the call i did. an amalgamation of empirical evidence and common sense was all that was needed.

this past weekend while flipping thru channels i stumbled across a baseball game. never one to miss a train wreck, i watched one at-bat. lo and behold, a dude on the Nats hit a tater tot. then lo and behold, the crowd went wild. then lo and behold, as he was rounding the bases I saw "people" in the stands.

i changed the channel..........right after i finished laughing.

at this point, the only thing that would make baseball a more conspicuous laughing stock than it is right now would be to proceed after it took a grand total of 3 games for corona to flex.

save a modicum of face and shut the season down.........now.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Marlins players must have been at Lou William's Father "Funeral".

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

This is so sad. I was so happy having MLB back. Now I worry the rest of the season is already in jeopardy.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    this really was predictable, I was shaking my head when the announcement was made by MLB to play. the same for the NBA and I assume the NFL and NHL are paying attention.

I'm interested in stevek's take on this. also, galaxy27 sort of called it spot on.

I've already given my take on this in other threads. I don't feel like regurgitating it.

Suffice to say that the season could have been fully played, but only if the players were properly schooled and disciplined enough not to touch their mouth, eyes, inner nose and inner ear which is almost always how this virus gets transmitted. It is almost impossible to contract this disease if you are able to discipline yourself properly when out in public.

Obviously these particular players weren't schooled or disciplined enough, or simply couldn't follow instructions which is no surprise because most professional athletes aren't usually known as being on the bright side.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek Nice dissertation 👍👍

• Options

@perkdog said:
    @stevek Nice dissertation 👍👍

My original post was much longer, but i received a message that my comments had taken up all the allotted CU server space for the month, so i had to shorten it.

😉

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    it didn't require even a rudimentary understanding of rocket science to make the call i did. an amalgamation of empirical evidence and common sense was all that was needed.

this past weekend while flipping thru channels i stumbled across a baseball game. never one to miss a train wreck, i watched one at-bat. lo and behold, a dude on the Nats hit a tater tot. then lo and behold, the crowd went wild. then lo and behold, as he was rounding the bases I saw "people" in the stands.

i changed the channel..........right after i finished laughing.

at this point, the only thing that would make baseball a more conspicuous laughing stock than it is right now would be to proceed after it took a grand total of 3 games for corona to flex.

save a modicum of face and shut the season down.........now.

Couldn’t agree more

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is such a abysmal sport. Its amazing how awful baseball is at literally everything,

The sport with the most ability to social distance will do the worst at corona.

The players are terrible humans , the owners are garbage , the union is garbage, every rule they came up with to deal with corona is useless.

I mocked David Price for opting out but is it possible he saw exactly how stupid this was going to be?

The players are not in a bubble like the NBA and NHL , they just do whatever they want? They don't even seem to care if they play lets give them the rest of their lives off

didn't the NHL just test 1400 some odd players with no positives? baseball players dont even need to contact each other and they have 14 positives on one team?

Its a non contact sport with non contact practices (do they even practice?) , with such a low effort level the players could play in tyvek suits

Did the Red sox just lose 4 games? Did they just rest their best player in game 2 of a 60 game season?

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

In another thread, the discussion before the season included some members here (not picking on anyone in particular) mocking or making fun of some baseball players who wanted to sit the year out due to the corona virus danger to themselves and loved ones. Well, I hope this incident vindicates them. Taking care of one's own health and that of others should not be stigmatized at all. I am surprised that baseball would have this outbreak, but Stevek explained it nicely. Even though baseball is a non-contact sport, the virus infects people quite easily if the proper precautions are not taken.

The soccer season in Germany will start later and I am curious how that will go. The sport has sporadic contact between players, but I am sure they will all be instructed on proper precautions. The country as a whole is doing far far better than we are and it is not because they take it less seriously, on the contrary, it is more due to simply following proper procedures to minimize viral spread.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

i just caught wind of something i found to be more ludicrous than pumping in fake fan noise........or those ridiculous cutouts in seats...........or making the brilliant decision not to bubble up and prance around the country like nothing is going on.....

.....apparently baseball has a rule whereby a ghost runner is placed on 2nd when the game goes to extras.

on its face, this has gotta make traditionalists spin like tops in their graves. i no longer care one iota about baseball and this rule even gives me the willies.

sure enough....

the Royals played the Indians the other night. top 10, KC with a man on second base who shouldn't be there in the first place. sac bunt to third. sac fly to score him. next dude walks, then gets hosed trying to steal. Kansas City scored an (unearned) run and ultimately won the game without an official at-bat.

that is high-quality absurdity right there

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    i just caught wind of something i found to be more ludicrous than pumping in fake fan noise........or those ridiculous cutouts in seats...........or making the brilliant decision not to bubble up and prance around the country like nothing is going on.....

.....apparently baseball has a rule whereby a ghost runner is placed on 2nd when the game goes to extras.

on its face, this has gotta make traditionalists spin like tops in their graves. i no longer care one iota about baseball and this rule even gives me the willies.

sure enough....

the Royals played the Indians the other night. top 10, KC with a man on second base who shouldn't be there in the first place. sac bunt to third. sac fly to score him. next dude walks, then gets hosed trying to steal. Kansas City scored an (unearned) run and ultimately won the game without an official at-bat.

It’s an embarrassment to the sport, absurdly embarrassing

• Options

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:

sure enough....

It wouldnt be needed if they could control the pace of play . They need to do this thing in the 7th 8th and 9th innings too.

NO MORE 5 HOUR GAMES !!!!!!

• Options

If i begin typing about why i despise this rule so much, it'll become a dissertation, so i won't start. 😒

• Options

@stevek said:

If i begin typing about why i despise this rule so much, it'll become a dissertation, so i won't start. 😒

But Steve I’m your biggest fan of your dissertations! ☝️

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I blame my current lack of dissertations on the lack of anything to dissertate about. 🤔

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

I blame my current lack of dissertations on the lack of anything to dissertate about. 🤔

That is fair 😂😂😂

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

watch a redsox game then. Management mixed up the uniforms of the pitching staff the other day started the wrong guy by mistake and didn't even notice for 7 runs

true story

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

My question is regarding the players only;

Since these guys are all in the lowest risk category (assuming none have asthma or other health issues), what exactly are the odds here?

How many will get very ill, how many slightly ill, how many will show no symptoms and what are the chances that anyone will die?

How do the odds match up with some of the other viruses that have appeared in the last 10-20 years.

Michael Pierce (football player) has opted out of playing this year as he suffers from asthma. This makes sense to me.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

watch a redsox game then. Management mixed up the uniforms of the pitching staff the other day started the wrong guy by mistake and didn't even notice for 7 runs

true story

I recall reading about something similar to that happening in a beer league softball game many years ago, whereby in that league the players drank before the game.

• Options

US Covid deaths: 10 weeks, 28 March to 5 June

Age Covid deaths Covid rate as 1 in...

15-24 32 1 in 218,399

25-34 120 1 in 66,653

35-44 345 1 in 21,626

The highest spike in deaths occurred in mid April.

About 900 players on MLB roster at a given time.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Since these guys are all in the lowest risk category (assuming none have asthma or other health issues), what exactly are the odds here?

How many will get very ill, how many slightly ill, how many will show no symptoms and what are the chances that anyone will die?

How do the odds match up with some of the other viruses that have appeared in the last 10-20 years.

It's not just the effects on the players - it's all the people they come in contact with.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

It's not just the effects on the players - it's all the people they come in contact with.

thank you for explaining that Tabe so I didn't have to

• Options

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I get that. That's why I phrased it the way I did.

Since we can't keep everybody at home, perhaps we could worry less about the low risk people and focus our attention on protecting the groups of people who are much more likely to die from the virus.

Players can be kept from contact from other people during the course of the shortened season. Eliminating the crowds was a good idea. Frankly, I don't give a rats a$$ if they play the games or not.

I am neither in the "it's the end of the world" group nor the "it's no big deal group". I am, at 63 very close to the high risk age group, so I take the proper precautions.

What's needed is accurate information and a little common sense.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I get that. That's why I phrased it the way I did.

Since we can't keep everybody at home, perhaps we could worry less about the low risk people and focus our attention on protecting the groups of people who are much more likely to die from the virus.

Players can be kept from contact from other people during the course of the shortened season. Eliminating the crowds was a good idea. Frankly, I don't give a rats a$$ if they play the games or not.

I am neither in the "it's the end of the world" group nor the "it's no big deal group". I am, at 63 very close to the high risk age group, so I take the proper precautions.

What's needed is accurate information and a little common sense.

The other issue is when did the virus actually come about? My niece worked last year as a physical therapist for several sports teams at Grand Canyon University. She got a 3 day fever and diarrhea in January. She said one of the opposing teams that came through in December was Chinese national team.

With this being highly communicable, there is almost no way to or have to of stopped this. Especially if the symptoms do not show up for 14 days.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I got tested for corona . I was sick in a weird ass way for about 4 days leading up to it. 16 days later I still have no test results ;) PENDING !

I feel ok , they obviously lost the test and dont want to tell me that because they still want to bill me or the insurance company.

The whole thing was silly , they told me to drink fluids and sent me home . Why did I even go? If it hadnt been for the media firestorm I would have just laid in bed for a few days .

I was afraid I might infect someone so I got the test. I had no useful information and no treatment .

If I had it I thought well if i test positive I will at least not have to care about this anymore but I was denied even that

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    I got tested for corona . I was sick in a weird ass way for about 4 days leading up to it. 16 days later I still have no test results ;) PENDING !

I feel ok , they obviously lost the test and dont want to tell me that because they still want to bill me or the insurance company.

The whole thing was silly , they told me to drink fluids and sent me home . Why did I even go? If it hadnt been for the media firestorm I would have just laid in bed for a few days .

I was afraid I might infect someone so I got the test. I had no useful information and no treatment .

If I had it I thought well if i test positive I will at least not have to care about this anymore but I was denied even that

That's very concerning! I hope you are feeling better.

I wonder what happens when the virus comes along that's got a high infection rate AND a high death rate across the age/health groups.

Anyone here a bar/restaurant owner? What happens when you can't pay your mortgage for months on end because the government has you closed? Some might have two mortgages.

I was able to retire last year, otherwise my business would be destroyed. I delivered frozen pizza to bars and resorts. I stay home now most of the time. When I go out, I wear a mask, even if it would seem to have little value at stopping the spread of the virus.

• Options

I feel ok , after the sick part I just felt like I had no energy for a few weeks whenever it was really hot. Like lethargic , no one likes 95 and humid but it seemed worse than usual.

I went for a 8 mile ocean kayak trip yesterday and was fine though.

Here is a weird thing. My friend Shawn called me about it and said his girlfriend felt the same way for about 3 days. She went in , the took her temp and it was normal they refused to corona test her!

His niece works at a nursing home , she got sick they made her stop work and get a test , she waited 14 days for results and got a negative . The nursing home still wouldnt let her come back for 2 more weeks . They told her in thier experience up to 40% of test results are "problematic"

40% ;) false positive ok you think you have it but don't I guess , but false negative and that is a problem if you go back around people and then spread it

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 5:42AM

That waiting game for the test results is ridiculous. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and had to have a test 2 days before. Got my brain/eyeball stabbed on a Monday and had result about 26 hours later (neg). But, me and the wife both think we had it after getting back from south america for xmas. Both sick for a month, chest/sinus stuff, woreass out, just beat...she did 2 rounds of antibiotics and I did one.

My father got tested and got his results in 5-6 days I think it was. It's all over the place for how long it takes, which is ridiculous.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the long delays in getting results. My head masons wife had to be tested and she had results in 7 hours. Inaccuracies in tests is a major problem.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Phillies Blue Jays Series now cancelled. Several staffers tested positive

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2020 7:48AM

Here we go again. Pretty soon the Commissioner is going to change the rules to - whoever gets in 10 games this season is the division champion.

"The St. Louis Cardinals have had multiple members test positive for the coronavirus, resulting in Major League Baseball postponing Friday afternoon's game at the Milwaukee Brewers, a source told ESPN's Jeff Passan."

https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29570869/source-mlb-calls-cardinals-brewers-game-due-coronavirus