Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Time go through the long searched closet binders and find me 100 cards for a bulk sub.

Yep, closet binder time. It's the ugly late 80's early 90's stuff mostly. Around 10 years ago had gone through these and was able to give to Salvation Army 7 binders worth of non hall of famers. All that is left is HOFers. No idea if 10 years later there could be some cards that could prove worthy for grading now. In search of a hundred in order to make these binders of glory worth the 25 year closet storing.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

I have a 160 card submission at PSA (not yet logged in) of the same stuff. Bonds, McGwire, Canseco and some low pop commons make up the bulk of the cards.

My advice is not to send anything in that's not flawless and perfectly centered. 9's are generally not worth the grading fee.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like some fun there. I have similar albums of HOF players... if it was anything like me, when I looked back over them I realized how poor the centering was on most...

Good luck!

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2020 6:04AM

thanks Joe... for getting me to 'realize' the 'reality' of what's to come :)

Yeah, my 100 card grading projection may prove to be futile. heh Gotta check, for the fun :)

Two so far from a basketball binder.

That kinda stuff is fun and in search of more. So far, it's been ugly.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

The Jordans are at least a hundred each. A good start.

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

The Fleer Jordan looks off l/r centering. Maybe it fits as a 10 but it would bug me...

• Options

Why ? It;s contest enter cards. Why did they make a binder ?

This is kinda cool though:

• Options
    edited August 1, 2020 2:16PM

Found this 'Ultimate Trading Card' comic book tucked in the middle of a basketball binder. I see one sold on ebay for a buck !!!

The basketball binder was randomly grabbed first. Pulled out of bunch Jordan commons that look tasty under close inspection. The way I see it, even if they all get 8's, any Jordan graded card will sell for 5 bucks. If I include these in a bulk 100 card sub at 9 bucks apiece, I only lose 4 bucks an 8 :) That is much better than the normal deal of buying a 500 dollar box, subbing 50, getting all 7's, and losing both the cost of the box and grading fees :) I'm a loser baby !
    Here's the saved Jordan's and some Shaq's that will be sent in:

Here's the 72 remnant Jordan's along with a binder of Shaqs, Barkley's, Alonzo's, etc,.

Stadium Club 1992 Members Only Set - Minus the Beam Teams (anybody want to buy this ? )

First baseball binder grabbed was the L/M with the likes of Mattingly, Larkin, Maddux, Mussina..

Grading stack remains with only some of the Jordans and Shaqs.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horse said:
    First baseball binder grabbed was the L/M with the likes of Mattingly, Larkin, Maddux, Mussina..

Check the backs of the 90UD Larkins for any missing the copyright line ;)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Guys, I am flabbergasted. It's weird. My closet binders of Hall Of Fame Glory are not emitting hundreds of PSA 10 worthy gradeable card products !! How can this be ?? Jordan and Shaqs, which will probably all get 8's (but I;m sending the frickers in !!) is it.

I can not find a player, any sport, hockey/baseball/football that is worthy of in depth card review other than the Jordans with this stuff. The Griffey's couldn't even make it. Am bored looking. The whole tub should go swimming.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Well, that sucks. I was hoping you'd find some real gems. It still is a worthwhile and enjoyable effort IMO.

• Options

Was joking on the flabbergastness above of course :)

The deal though is, this kinda stuff has to go. Steadily getting older and strongly feeling the need to rid the sheeeeet from existence. The 'collection' I want to maintain now has to be clean and sleek. Specific players, boxes, sets. None of the smorgasbord of mixed crap. Healthy mind :) heh

The tub above has a couple thousand of hall of famer cards. Who cares. It's crap.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. My wife is so sick of seeing cards in no less than 4-5 rooms of our house that it would mean divorce if I started using the pool for cards. We already sit poolside with beers and modern box rips here and there and that gets an eye roll.

As for your bad luck, No surprise there if you are holding 80s / early 90s stuff there. I ripped a few dozen 80s boxes over the years and saved all of the HOFERS. It is ridiculously difficult to find anything 10 worthy. Tho we need look no further than the epic thread that Chris has going to see how incredibly challenging it is to find perfection.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Kevin.... Thanks for sharing. I'm sure a lot of us are in similar situations with "crap" just laying around taking up space. Before the whole tub does a cannon ball in the pool--------- check with a local card shop (gotta have something in the Phoenix area) and offer a deep, deep, deep discount or where to donate. I had one of those 4 row monster boxes full of HOFers in penny sleeves mainly from 1987-1992. I went to my local hobby store which carries gaming cards, sports cards, comics, a few coins, etc.... and gave the owner the box to go through and told him a dime a piece if he finds anything worthwhile. Three days later I returned and to my surprise he picked out 678 cards...... probably Rose, Ripken, Ryan, etc... but who cares.... outta my house and got a little jingle for a bottle of liquor and half rack of suds............

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2020 5:02AM

These guys have it ALL figured out.... lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Do they charge extra for the rubber bands?

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he’s just Josh’n.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll only buy those if they are run through bike spokes too.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I think I am going to put some on a target board when I shoot my air pellet rifle. Off center? Take that Bonds, can't tell a 10 from a 4? Take that Griffey Jr. Glue some together to see how far a pellet will penetrate? Take that Ben McDonald. Go to a parking lot and stick random cards on the doors? Take that Deshields, Maas, Skalski & Pawlowski, Huson & Weston. I feel better already. Thanks for the inspiration.