Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a New undiscovered 1976 D RPM? .....Not listed on Vista or Wexlers

Kana808Kana808 Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited July 25, 2020 3:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So through out my search of $50 worth of pennies, I have come across a possible RPM. I say possible because I never seen a D so twisted on what looks like another D. what do you guys think submit it or forget it as a new discovery

?

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@MWallace Really PMD would cause the D to rotate that drastically?

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2020 4:05AM

The mm took a hit. Copper is relatively soft and it's easy to displace the metal. Notice that the raised D is smaller and lacks the serifs and Shape of the normal mm. For it to be a RPM, 2 different mm styles would have to have been used

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster I see what you mean, I originally thought the same thing but to be shifted so bad that it cause the D's back to V in such a way you would thing the date its self would also display such a displacement of the number. but for the tails of the 9 and 7 to be at such a point and no marks around the D or the number. I know copper is soft but still to rotate a D that bad would take a good hit and I would think damages would be visible around the MM or affect the date in the same manor. but thanks for the input.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged in the mint Mark area

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

The D was hit by something.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it hard to believe that this miniscule mint mark was hit hard enough to move the metal so significantly, but not cause any other damage to the surrounding fields.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Damaged in the mint Mark area

And the date.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:
    I find it hard to believe that this miniscule mint mark was hit hard enough to move the metal so significantly, but not cause any other damage to the surrounding fields.

I have seen where the mint mark was almost removed from a hit and the fields show no damage.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:

if it helps, the mm and date are the high points for that area and the mm was not alone. the date was roughed up as well and a little bit of the visible rim was not left out of the party. :wink:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd

• Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

I'm not a penny guy, so I have no idea. But it looks odd to me, not sure a hit would make it look like that. If it was a dime I I would know where to send it, but there must be a penny guy out there who could settle this. Find out who, send it and wait.

Dan
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't thin the D was turned so much as it was sliced. Yes, there was some metal movement, but the upper left and lower right were hit, giving the illusion that it is a twisted second mm. If you restored the missing/sliced areas, the D would look fairly normal.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    The mm took a hit. Copper is relatively soft and it's easy to displace the metal. Notice that the raised D is smaller and lacks the serifs and Shape of the normal mm. For it to be a RPM, 2 different mm styles would have to have been used

It doesn't have to be 2 different mint mark styles - that does sometimes happen, but is relatively uncommon. The mint mark just has to be punched more than once, most commonly with the same style.

I agree with you that the mint mark on the OP's coin took a hit and metal got moved around - not an RPM, in this case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file