Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So Funny How SGC is Now Buried and Can't Keep Up

Their leader was on a Youtube video a couple months back, more or less bashing PSA for their slow turntimes, saying, "send us your cards...we'll get them back to you quick -- if we need to expand, no problem, we'll hire more people"...yada yada yada....guess he spoke a bit too early with the news they released today....he will be back on Youtube Saturday to stick his foot back in his mouth...

Comments

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I also heard an interview (possibly the same as the one you heard) of SGC’s intrepid leader a couple months back where he was crowing about their turnaround times. And how he promised that the wait times foisted on collectors by PSA and BGS would not happen at SGC because they would ramp up capacity to meet demand. I guess it’s a little harder to meet demand when people are finally using your services.

Steve
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see SGC finally getting the business they deserve.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Be careful what you wish for."

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

exactly...don't diss someone else until you've been in their shoes...looks like the shoes don't quite fit so well for SGC as they thought they would.....guess we'll see if they can hire graders as easily as their leader said they would be able to a couple months back...

reading that some have contacted SGC to ask for their cards to be returned to them due to the latest news about their delays. Get ready for even more cards to go to PSA, as if your cards are going to be delayed, you may as well send them to PSA where you will get the most bang for your bucks...

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody that can even update their damn website in over a year so you could put the certificate numbers in isn't getting my business !
    Stupid..

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

I am surprised they are still around.. It's got to be close to 23 years now so they must be doing something right, no?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe SGC should outsource to BO$$ Sports Grading. A company that just started up due to the long wait times at the other guys.. At least that is what their website says.

I saw a few cards of theirs on eBay and had to see what the story was.. What a waste of money if someone chooses to go that route....

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Even with the uptick in business, I wouldn't think SGC gets a ton of submissions compared to PSA.

their head cheese mentioned something about them having 100k-200k cards in their building, so yeah, way short of PSA business for sure

@Kep13 said:
    their head cheese mentioned something about them having 100k-200k cards in their building, so yeah, way short of PSA business for sure

Wow. Agreed that is most likely way short of PSA, but still a lot of cards.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

SGC is a front.

Arthur

This should be interesting...…….. released yesterday.

In a letter released by SGC President Peter Steinberg, it was explained that moving forward, collectors will have two options when it comes to grading cards. One level of service is simply titled, “I Can Wait.” As opposed to offering any sort of guaranteed turnaround time for graded cards, the service offers no specific time frame. Priced at $10 per card, it matches the level SGC has charged most customers for years,

The second service level is titled, “Need Them Now,” which is offered to customers who want a more concrete time frame. According to SGC, this service level will be approximately three to five business days. SGC stresses that even that is an estimate but also says that “customers should not expect to wait far past the five business day mark to see that their orders have been marked shipped and are on their way back to them.”
    The catch for that expedited service? The “Need Them Now” service starts at $100 per card.

THAT SHOULD GO OVER...Like a lead balloon !

• Blindmelon5Blindmelon5 Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

2-3 months wait with SGC is certainly better than the 8-10 month turnaround PSA is about to experience when they catch up to the submissions they've received during covid. Crazy

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:

In a letter released by SGC President Peter Steinberg, it was explained that moving forward, collectors will have two options when it comes to grading cards. One level of service is simply titled, “I Can Wait.” As opposed to offering any sort of guaranteed turnaround time for graded cards, the service offers no specific time frame. Priced at $10 per card, it matches the level SGC has charged most customers for years,

The second service level is titled, “Need Them Now,” which is offered to customers who want a more concrete time frame. According to SGC, this service level will be approximately three to five business days. SGC stresses that even that is an estimate but also says that “customers should not expect to wait far past the five business day mark to see that their orders have been marked shipped and are on their way back to them.”
    The catch for that expedited service? The “Need Them Now” service starts at $100 per card.

Was that printed in The Onion?

Andy

edited July 27, 2020 11:52AM

@ReggieCleveland said:
    SGC is a front.

Arthur

Do tell.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I think the fact that all three primary third party grading firms are basically having to turn away business is the most obvious sign of just how strong the hobby is.

Generally true, but “the hobby” is a very broad term. I don’t scrub the pop reports like others might, but my gut tells me there is real uptick in ultra modern vs vintage, and basketball has grown a ton vs the other sports.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:
    SGC is a front.

Arthur

Do tell.

Look at the Mastro/Heritage/SGC musical chairs. They were all employed by at least two of three at one point or another with many Mastro dbags trading testimony for immunity. Now we have one of the biggest card doctors able to put his poop in any SGC slab and then run it through Heritage (where shilling is actually employed and legal in Texas, read the terms). So we have a bunch of criminals at new locations where a bunch of criminals used to work but now work where the other criminals used to work and they all know each other well.

But they decided, out of nowhere, to all stop being criminals and to stop making millions of dollars doing illegal activities because.... ?

Arthur

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    I think the fact that all three primary third party grading firms are basically having to turn away business is the most obvious sign of just how strong the hobby is.

Generally true, but “the hobby” is a very broad term. I don’t scrub the pop reports like others might, but my gut tells me there is real uptick in ultra modern vs vintage, and basketball has grown a ton vs the other sports.

There has been an explosion of fresh collectors coming into the hobby. Some new, many simply returning but overall a ton of fresh participants.

I use the term hobby to encompass all trading cards. All three companies are seeing a broad range of cards coming in and that to me is a great sign of strength.

Anytime there are three primary sources for something and none can keep up with demand that tells me something serious has changed and it has. One can debate how long this boom will last and certainly there will be differing opinions but it isn't stopping tomorrow that is for sure.

@ahopkins said:

@picklepete said:

Was that printed in The Onion?

… on todays Sports collectors Daily website

@Dpeck100 said:

I personally like SGC and think their grading is reasonable and while in my view there is zero chance they will ever truly compete with PSA, it is good having an industry where there is competition and choices for the consumer.

I don't have an issue with SGC and their wanting to be viable in the grading market -- I just don't like that SGC dude going on Youtube 2 months ago and shooting his mouth off how SGC would never have crazy turn times like PSA was having back then...and a mere 2 months later SGC is sending out an update saying they can't keep up with demand...and then the dude goes on to Youtube again this past weekend and continues to throw darts at PSA and make excuses for SGC...the best part was when he was asked how many graders they have and he went on to say, without answering that question, that it is very hard to get qualified graders and teach them to grade the "SGC way", yet 2 months ago he was badmouthing PSA cause they weren't expanding their pool of graders...and he just can't keep his lips tight -- saying that PSA better watch out cause SGC is coming to get them...geez dude, clam up and just worry about the things you/SGC are doing wrong...this guy is a car salesman and so much more, but I'll bite my tongue...

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picking on the big dog usually isn’t smart. They found out on a smaller scale what PSA already knew.

That said I like hearing they can’t keep up with demand. It is good for everyone.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe GAI and PRO will come back to get a piece of the pie lol.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@picklepete said:

I’ve always thought SGC would do well to hire someone with a business degree, or has taken at least one business class. Or at the very least, someone who hasn’t taken a business class but has “a general idea” of what to expect if they were to take one.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe that new TPG (the one that does NGC Coins) will be able to take some of the pressure off the other big 3 TPG's. I might try them on some lower valued cards just to see the look and feel of their holders and the quality of grading they apply. Anyone know when they will start accepting submissions?

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I am not bothered by SGC, although I do prefer PSA. I am bothered by anyone who attempts to gain as a result of the difficulties of others. We are all in this mess together. The hobby will survive.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 8:31AM

I still have a sonic welder sitting here collecting dust. I can start it up again. Here comes Fabulous Authentication & Grading. With or without Service at the end. Haven't decided.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 1:27PM

@picklepete said:

Looks like its not just SGC jacking up their prices, BGS just raised their prices for the second time in two months. 2-Day goes from $60 to $125, 5-Day from $50 to $100.

How soon before we see PSA raise their's as well?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@picklepete said:

Looks like its not just SGC jacking up their prices, BGS just raised their prices for the second time in two months. 2-Day goes from $60 to $125, 5-Day from $50 to $100.

Ya keepa payin, they keepa raisin. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

It's a shame that SGC didn't take the ball and run with it this year. That could have put some pressure on PSA to improve turnaround times. That said, I can't imagine how backlogged both companies are due to the pandemic, so I'm glad to see that business is booming for them. It's great for the hobby.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@erikthredd said:

@picklepete said:

Ya keepa payin, they keepa raisin. :)

I NEVER open modern and I NEVER send to Beckett but somehow I won the Topps lottery and was allowed to purchase two boxes of Finest Flashback at $55 each which doing so was a simple no-brainer for me. I pulled a Gold Refractor Mike Trout out of my box and sent it off to Beckett right away as the 2 day service and it cost me 50 bucks plus shipping. I am glad I didn't wait as paying $125 for the same service likely just would not have made sense to me. I was hesitant paying the $50 lol.

This stuff is getting out of control. When that Trout returns to me I will make my profit so fast and once again wash my hands of the modern market....unless Topps gives me a big present like they did with Finest Flashbacks.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!