Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

HEAT DAMAGE TO PSA CASES?

Hi guys,

Brand new to the forum!

I recently got back into collecting and I picked up a few PSA graded cards. I also purchased one of those plastic travel cases to store them in. Before I put them in the case, I usually put one of those snug sleeves on each slab.

It has been extremely hot recently and even though there is no direct sunlight in my apartment it can still get pretty hot. I thought I had the case in a good spot but yesterday I noticed the black travel case was a little warm. When I examined my cards further, I noticed right away that there was a distinct white marking, almost frost like, towards the top of each slab. Its very noticeable (SEE ATTACHED PICS) and this definitely was not there when I bought them. There is also a small dot towards the bottom of each case which is very pronounced.

I even have a graded gold eagle coin in the box and the exact same thing happened to that slab.

Could the temperature have caused this?

Did the travel case contribute to this since the top is hard plastic?

Would you recommend getting them recased?

I’m worried because I don’t want PSA to think they have been tampered with at all.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

-Alex W.

Comments

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

I'm no plastics expert ( if someone is chime in all ears here) = but perhaps the plastic card holders you surrounded the cards with just might contain PVC based plastic. Back in the days heat would cause moisture build up and leakage of the oils on to whatever surface it touched. I'd suggest if using that carry case you buy a non-PVC based plastic liner-- not all of them are created equal. Also use a dehumidifier if possible in the room your in as heat plus moisture equals nasty things. I've known some people to use moisture beads, but to me they never work properly. Good old bounty paper towel sucks up moisture better than the beads.

At least these are steps I took when I lived in the Northeast.
    Hope this helps-
    jeff

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

since these are cases have a "watertight" seal, it may be a good idea to open the valve on the front to promote airflow. I could imagine if colder air was trapped in there from the night, then the box was heated up by sunlight, then condensation could form inside. I have my cards all stored in these cases, actually near a window with drawn blinds. I never have a heat issue. how hot does your place get?? I mean it would need to be really hot in there for an issue to form I would think.

myslabs.to/smzcards