Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1861-S $20 NGC AU55, Nice Civil War Gold (SOLD)

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2020 10:16PM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Better date scarce double eagle with a PCGS survival estimate of 3262. Per Doug Winter's description in Coinfacts, the 1861-S is one of the weaker struck SF type one double eagles. The weakness of strike is most evident on the obverse in the hair of lady liberty with flatness in the center of the stars. This is an attractive example that appears more worn on the obverse than it actually is due to weakness of strike that is characteristic of the issue. The fields display original honey-gold luster and the reverse is sharply struck. The reverse fields have attractive reflectivity. The obverse fields show more circulation wear than the reverse, but are only lightly abraded and unobtrusive. Both sides show cartwheel luster, which is particularly strong on the reverse. This coin was purchased via Heritage in April 2018 for $3,360 (for some reason I can’t get auction link to work, but it is easy to look up). I've posted several pictures under various lighting below. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like additional photos/video. I've had several successful BST transactions on this forum and can provide references. Preferred payment method is via check. I will cover the cost of shipping and insurance and will ship priority mail, adult signature required once the check clears.

Comments