Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Gretzky N6

Just got back a 2 card raw submission

1 1980 Bird/ Magic came back a PSA7, Yay!!

2 1979 Topps Gretzky N6, Measures 2.5" x3.5"

I was expecting the Gretzky to come back a 4-5, is it worth repeatedly submitting till it gets a # grade or am I better of sending to another grading Co. I am not sure what I am going to do with the card and don't know what is the best move, opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

If the size fits, you must resubmit.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

A lot of Topps Gretzkys come back min size

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I have had 1 come back NY and re-- subbed and came back a 5. If it's for your pc I would be fine with it. If you plan on selling re-sub or sell here on bat. I would be interested if selling.

• Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

My 79 Topps Great One has come back N6 twice...once about 10 years ago and once about 12 years ago. I have that whole set and it measures up to the other cards from what I can see. Having a card come back undersized is frustrating.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bobby24 said:
    My 79 Topps Great One has come back N6 twice...once about 10 years ago and once about 12 years ago. I have that whole set and it measures up to the other cards from what I can see. Having a card come back undersized is frustrating.

Yes it is. One time i cracked out a 86 fleer Jordan PSA 7, and it came back trimmed. lol

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I will probably give it another shot at some point. Why does this card seem to get N6 so often?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is possible for a card to measure correct and still be trimmed. Card doc's can press, then trim the then oversized card.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    It is possible for a card to measure correct and still be trimmed. Card doc's can press, then trim the then oversized card.

Would this be considered N6? Or would they call this "Altered" or "Trimmed"?

For any examples of the N6, can someone post a picture of the card in an UltraPro OneTouch holder with Recessed area for the card. I'm curious to see how much gap between the edges of the card and card-holder is considered N6

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 10:52AM

@CraigH said:
    I will probably give it another shot at some point. Why does this card seem to get N6 so often?

If you want a card that gets a lot of N6 minsizerq, try submitting the 1986 Fleer Sticker Kareem Abdul Jabbar card. I had 3 pack pulled stickers of him that were a battle for 8 submissions just to get 2 in holders with a grade. The last 1, I just gave up and requested them to label it authentic. I cracked it after a few months and sent it to Beckett and they put it in an 8.5 holder, so I have no idea what science to consider with the n6... I would just suggest to keep submitting if you know it is 100% pack pulled, and if you have to switch grading companies for a card or 2.

Outcomes for the 3 cards:
    1 - PSA 7 - 3rd submission
    1 - PSA 9 - 5th submission
    1 - BGS 8.5, cracked from a PSA Authentic holder after the 8th try...

*fwiw, I believe they should holder an N6 card with a grade no matter the size. If they truly can detect trimming, an n6 card is authentic and unaltered and should be graded normally.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@CraigH said:

If you want a card that gets a lot of N6 minsizerq, try submitting the 1986 Fleer Sticker Kareem Abdul Jabbar card. I had 3 pack pulled stickers of him that were a battle for 8 submissions just to get 2 in holders with a grade. The last 1, I just gave up and requested them to label it authentic. I cracked it after a few months and sent it to Beckett and they put it in an 8.5 holder, so I have no idea what science to consider with the n6... I would just suggest to keep submitting if you know it is 100% pack pulled, and if you have to switch grading companies for a card or 2.

Outcomes for the 3 cards:
    1 - PSA 7 - 3rd submission
    1 - PSA 9 - 5th submission
    1 - BGS 8.5, cracked from a PSA Authentic holder after the 8th try...

*fwiw, I believe they should holder an N6 card with a grade no matter the size. If they truly can detect trimming, an n6 card is authentic and unaltered and should be graded normally.

I have a Kareem sticker at PSA right now....came N6 the first time....fingers crossed

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

My Topps Gretzky rookie made so many trips to CA it’s got status on 3 different airlines. Repeatedly came back N6. I highly doubt it’s trimmed as I bought it 30+ years ago from a private collector whom I believe reputable. They just take such a long look at that card and its known for being frequently undersized. I wanted it slabbed, both for protection and so my families know not to just give it away if I get hit by a bus, so finally took the “A” grade.

• Options
    Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    My Topps Gretzky rookie made so many trips to CA it’s got status on 3 different airlines. Repeatedly came back N6. I highly doubt it’s trimmed as I bought it 30+ years ago from a private collector whom I believe reputable. They just take such a long look at that card and its known for being frequently undersized. I wanted it slabbed, both for protection and so my families know not to just give it away if I get hit by a bus, so finally took the “A” grade.

That is funny. I have never equated N6 with trimming or any other funny business. I think that is why you get your grading fee back.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CraigH said:

Not sure about this card, but I believe there is one color pair of 1975 Topps baseball which frequently come short.

• Options

@Bobby24 said:

@GreenSneakers said:

That is funny. I have never equated N6 with trimming or any other funny business. I think that is why you get your grading fee back.

@Bobby24 said:

@GreenSneakers said:

@Bobby24 said:

@GreenSneakers said:

I didn't get my grading fee back on this card,. How soon do you resubmit,or do you give it while?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure you didn't get your grading fee back?

I have had cards come back MIN SIZE and never been charged or got to use the vouchers again.

MIN SIZE is not trimmed. On one that comes back altered you don't get your grading fee back.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

N6 should not have been charged the fee. Double check that as DPeck says.

It doesn’t matter how long you wait. On a different card, I once got an N6. I picked it up from the PO, repackaged and resubmitted the same day. It was at my house for less than two hours before taking the trip back. Came back a 9 the second time.

• Options

I didn't get a voucher, will have to check my CC and see what I got charged for.