Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Griffey base 1997 Topps is nearly 3x more in July?

The pics speak for themselves. The base Griffey #300 from 1997 Topps has sold for 3x more now - and an insert sold for a fraction of the base. All graded PSA 10 - what am I missing ?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I know i am new to the forum lingo - but I had to google your term, The Registry is a Powerful Drug? LOL amazing.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, that's it. There are many who go for Topps Basic sets (base Topps of each year the player was active +1), fewer that seriously chase Topps Master/full Master sets (every card issued by Topps/every card issued). You'll see a lot of Topps base cards go for more than inserts due to this. Tripling up seems to be par for the course these days for the most popular players to collect.

• Options

That is great that you for shedding some light on this. I always thought PSA 10 base cards don't get enough credit (sometimes they look better than some cheap inserts).

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Curious what an 01 Topps base would bring nowadays?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

I was able to locate base two 10s and a 9 - nowhere near as much

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I'll tell you what - that post swing pic of Griffey on that 1997 Topps is (imo) the very best looking one out there on ANY of his cards - absolutely iconic. That card presents as well as any poster. Doesn't surprise me at all it commands a premium.

• Options

It's true, certain images really can make a base card better than most inserts. There is absolutely something to be said about the optics of certain cards, no matter how common or simple.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    I'll tell you what - that post swing pic of Griffey on that 1997 Topps is (imo) the very best looking one out there on ANY of his cards - absolutely iconic. That card presents as well as any poster. Doesn't surprise me at all it commands a premium.

Completely agree. I have mentioned a number of times that that is my favorite Griffey base card.

Being a Topps base card helps too.. Yes, TRIAPD.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 9:20PM

@Cardman99 said:
    I was able to locate base two 10s and a 9 - nowhere near as much

Card 593 is the card in the Griffey basic Topps set. So those 2 10’s posted are of little value. The 2001 Topps #593 is the toughest base to get for that set. It sold for $200 pre this craziness. Probably a $500-$600 card now.

• Options

I bought a box of 1997 Topps series the other day and got two of the Griffeys. One the centering is off, but the other has a shot at 10. May as well send it in after learning about some of the base Griffey from this thread.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Him winning the MVP in 97 might have something to do with it too?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image in the 97 is iconic and right in the midst of griffeys prime

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.