Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Don Mattingly cards

In the last 3 months approximately 10 Donruss PSA 10's have sold, approximately 20 Fleer PSA 10's have sold, and approximately 30 1984 Topps PSA 10's have sold. No "0" 1984 OPC PSA 10's have sold, none. There are none listed either. Donruss 9's are selling for around $200 - $250. Hmmm.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

And your point is? Lol

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Bid on my up-coming auction of OPC Mattingly cards.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

As you are at it, there is a Topps Nestle, Topps Tiffany, and Fleer Glossy too.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 4:38AM

Tiffany would be the best of the Mattingly rookies in my estimation.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Tiffany would be the best of the Mattingly rookies in my estimation.

i would agree.

• Options

When the most current SMR comes out next month, you will see that a PSA 10 Mattingly is up to 1500.00!!! and a 9 will be 135.00. There is a 1984 donruss rack pack on Ebay with Mattingly RC on top in a BBCE holder. It looks pretty sweet but I thought the price was a bit high but now I don"t know. 1984 Donruss boxes have gone up to crazy levels too and with a rack, you will get a guaranteed Mattingly. Thats my take on it...

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

these are the only two i have.

• Options

After looking at completed auctions of 1984 Donruss, they are avg. about 2300.00 for a 10. The 1984 set is just a clean crisp set.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

1984 Donruss Up big and then down big. At one point, supposedly, it sold for $3,200, now it's down $2,200. So it's hard to get a grip on the exact sales price. No tiffany 10's have sold in a white. Based on the PSA 9 sales of around $400, I would guess a 10 would be around $4,000. OPC PSA 10's POP 49, Tiffany POP 51. The OPC 9's have been selling for around $80 which would seem to correspond to an $800 PSA 10. But I think an OPC PSA 10 would sale for a around the Donruss price $2,300, maybe more. OPC PSA 9's way under valued currently.

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:

There is no Fleer Glossy for 1984.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

@junkwaxgems said:

@DeutscherGeist said:

There is no Fleer Glossy for 1984.

That's right. Thank you. I stand corrected.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suppose Mattingly makes the hof as player/manager, like Torre did. How much of a bump would the rookies get?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Suppose Mattingly makes the hof as player/manager, like Torre did. How much of a bump would the rookies get?

That's a good question. I have been wondering myself for many years now. Mattingly's popularity already drove up prices on his cards. He has been retired since 1995 and not been voted into the HOF for that long of a time span, his possible future induction will come as a surprise and unexpected. It would have to drive up his prices, I would think. The highest graded cards will see the biggest jumps in terms of percentage. When Mike Mussina was inducted, his cards seemed to have already factored in the HOF because once he got voted in, his card prices softened. I do not think this will happen to Mattingly only because the last ballot results did not reveal that he was close to getting inducted, so an induction will be a surprise and I know for many, a pleasant one!

The Donruss and Topps Tiffany rookies in PSA 10 are already commanding 4 figures and that seems like a lot, but you can never underestimate nostalgia. That Donruss, rookie, for example, not only represents the best baseball player for a time during the 80s, but also a very likeable human being with a very large fan base and many people who could simply respect him, his spotlight as a manager could put him at the center of attention with any amount of success, and that card is an iconic card of its decade that transformed the hobby in a way that paved the way for Upper Deck issuing counterfeit resistant cards in 1989.

When Mariano Rivera came up for the first time for the HOF elections, no one doubted he would get voted in, yet his card prices doubled from about $200 to $400 and now sell higher than that. I thought there was no rush to buy his card thinking that his induction was already factored into the card price at the time. I was wrong.

So, all I can offer is my opinion based on analysis of what has taken place before.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 7:53AM

@craig44 said:

Seems to me he is one of the most popular players being collected despite not being in the HOF. Most Mattingly fans alreaady have his cards.

If he was able to get into the HOF someday because of his success as a manager, I would expect a slight jump in his card prices, but nothing huge.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I just received the ALL Star Cards just buying catalog today. They are buying psa 10s @1600.00 which is more than the new prices in SMR this month. 1984 Donruss Wax boxes are bound to take another jump as well as any 1984 Rack packs with Mattingly on top because collectors will not be able to afford boxes. Cello packs too.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    1984 Donruss Up big and then down big. At one point, supposedly, it sold for $3,200, now it's down $2,200. So it's hard to get a grip on the exact sales price. No tiffany 10's have sold in a white. Based on the PSA 9 sales of around $400, I would guess a 10 would be around $4,000. OPC PSA 10's POP 49, Tiffany POP 51. The OPC 9's have been selling for around $80 which would seem to correspond to an $800 PSA 10. But I think an OPC PSA 10 would sale for a around the Donruss price $2,300, maybe more. OPC PSA 9's way under valued currently.

I agree the OPC's are undervalued. With a lot of 80's stars, the registry collectors are heavier into the basic players sets and/or the basic topps sets, so that takes some of the demand away from the OPC, as they only fit into the master sets. Just my .02

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.