Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you think its safe to take a plunge on this purchase?

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I am skeptical in ordering "sealed" sets from anyone but BBCE, they are out of so much inventory that I decided to look elsewhere too. The 1989 Score Traded set in factory seal is something I wanted for my collection as it does a Jim Abbott rookie card in there and of course Griffey and R Johnson among others. It is a nostalgia set for me. I saw this and was wondering if the price was fair along with reasonable assurances that these are indeed fresh from a sealed case. What do you guys think? Plunge or not to plunge?

1989 Score Traded Set

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you exaggerate a $13 set?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 10:16PM

The seller is named Bob and owns a card shop in NJ. I have bought many unopened packs from him over the years and he's always been rock solid.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

daltex,

It is all in the spirit of fun and a bit of humor. I am serious about the set, though. It may be low dollar, but that does not mean I ignore top quality.

grote15,

That is the feedback I am looking for. I just wanted to see if there were collectors that have dealt with the seller before.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry. I guess I was unclear. I'd be very upset if I bought a purported factory set only to find a key card creased or, worse, missing regardless of the price. My point was that a seller with five-figure feedback is very unlikely to find a photo of a set case and misrepresent the sets coming out of the case for a lousy $13. My integrity, and I bet yours, comes a heck of a lot higher than that.

• Options

Daltex,

I understand your point. I am just extra cautious. The seller looks good, I have to say. I am leaning towards getting a few boxes and some will definitely remain sealed.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

Looks like a nice little selection of T205s there.