Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let’s track 70’s wax sales

Can we start a thread of confirmed prices paid for any 70’s football and baseball bbce boxes? I will start with a couple......a 79 bbce Baseball box for $2250 and 2 sales of 1978 baseball for $3200 and $3300. Anyone have other confirmed sales?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

An 83 baseball rack box FASC sold on ebay last night for $1950.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 7:41PM

1986 fleer basketball just sold for $80K tonight on ebay....i know its not 1970;s but wow.

a 1977 football wax box bbce sold for $3260 a few days ago and $1350 for a 1979 fb wax box a week or two ago.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I guess the answer is no, because many have argued that sales on eBay, especially those that seem suspiciously high, are not confirmed.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Honestly I was going for sales that you know about first hand or you confirmed other than just by seeing an eBay auction. I made the 79 purchase I listed and asked/confirmed the 2 sales of 78 baseball boxes since they were not eBay sales. It would be cool to track 70’s confirmed sales like this

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the 70s boxes are sold privately these days via Facebook unopened groups, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I also suspect that transactions in these boxes are slowing down, numerically, as people with them hunker down and aren't interested in selling. I suspect that there a number of long-term, true collectors who are in their 40's and 50's right now that are buying but not selling. Probably means that there might be a number of spectacular auctions in about 25 years, but for now I suspect that a lot of that material is hunkered down and not moving. At least, I know that the bit that I have isn't going anywhere for a good long while.
    kevin

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 topps baseball vending box bbce wrapped FASC - $1049 end of june 2020.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I agree that sales are getting fewer and farther in between. That is why I started this one because it is hard to tell what the true market value is on say a 75 wax box or 73 or even 77 of either sport because verified sales you trust are not easy to come buy. The big auction houses sell some of these so I am going to start my own research on past sales in 2020 for 70’s boxes.