Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1956 Topps team cards...

The team cards are valued differently based on their center/left/right name. Does the set registry weight these cards differently?
...building PSA 8 1956 Topps...I am always looking to buy
My 1956 Topps Set

Comments

• brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    I thought the weights were visible some place, perhaps the place where you enter your cert numbers?

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    No.

Here are the weights:

Link to 1956 weights

Regards,

Alan
  • The 1956 teams need to be the dated variety to maximize your rating for the set registry. If you have all cards in the set in PSA 8, with all your team variations being the dated type, your rating would be at an even 8. If you have the left or centered variations listed instead of the dated ones, your average will be slightly less than 8.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    WAITTILL - Wait a minute. You are telling me if I have team cards that are graded straight PSA-8 and that they are the easier variation, my grade of the set will decrease below 8?...jay
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Jay,

Look under the "news" section, and on 1/11/02, there is an explanation, that says the set ratings are based on the highest possible weights. Therefore, a GPA of 8.00, with the lower weight variations, will result in a 7.9 something Set Rating.

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • waitilltheytrytosell and acowa,

Tell me if this is correct...

The Yankees team cards is weighted 7, so if I have a left or centered version it will be less but it isnt listed on the weighting sheet?

geoff
    My 1956 Topps Set
    Here's a copy of the note:

1/11/02
    A note about set ratings. On those sets where there are weighted varieties, it is possible to have a 100% completed set with a Weighted GPA of say, 7.80 and a Set Rating of 7.75. This is due to the fact that the set rating is based on the best possible weights. In other words, if a card has two varieties, one weighted 1 and the other weighted 3, the 3 is used in the calculation of the set ratings. If your set contains the lower weighted variety, you will see a disparity in your GPA and the Set Rating. However, sets that have no varieties or weights should have equal GPAs and Set Ratings if the sets are 100% complete. Based on this information, please report any problems you may see.

Also, I checked in the pop reports and the cards appear to be sorted by left, center, and right.

I don't see how a person could have a complete set all graded PSA 8 and not have a rating of an 8. I can see giving bonus points for having the "dated" variation.

Either way, this information should be clearly listed in the published weights. If someone could point out where this information is published...it would help.

Regards,

Alan

Acorn,

The Yankees team only came in one version. These teams had left, centered, and dated versions:

Cubs
    Phillies
    Braves
    Indians
    Orioles
    Reds

The only strange thing about the Yankee team card is that Don Larsens name was misspelled Larson. I guess a World Series perfect game only takes you so far.

Regards,

Alan
  • So, in order to have a perfect rating, I should always buy the dated one, right?
    My 1956 Topps Set
    Assuming that you can find one. They're pretty tough.

Regards,

Alan
  • Last time I looked at the pop report, the dated cards were the among rarest in the set.

I'm doing this set in PSA-7, and it has been very hard to find cards recently. Since the set registry has become popular, 7's have been going for a lot.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Actually, despite what the price guides have always listed, the Team Left variations have always been harder to find than the Dated variations. I guess the guides think you are getting more with "the date", so they are worth more. If you go out and try to colelct the variations, you will find the Left variations much harder to find. In my book that makes the Left ones worth more money. Since the pop report keeps track of all the ones graded, it is in fact showing that the Lefts are indeed harder to find than the Dated types.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The only qualification I will add to this discussions is that I have seen multiple 1956 Topps team cards that have the incorrect variation listed. (e.g., dated instead of left, etc.). In fact, I remember Mastro having a lot of these cards perhaps a year or two ago, where something like 20+% of the cards had the variation listed incorrectly. I do not know how many, if any, have been corrected.

This variation problem runs the gamut with sets -- as it is prevalent with many of the 1955 Bowman variations, too.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.