Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So Let's Bust This Pack, 1983 Michigan Test Baseball Pack!!!!! See Down Thread! Lets Bust This!

thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

Morning,

Latest, I sold 10 each 1983 Michigan Test Baseball cellophane packs in separate Auctions and BINS, before I got the urge to rip them myself. I bought them from a member here and they of course were 100% fine and legit as any 1983 Michigan Test would be. Just received a Return Request:

Please take action by Jul 24.
Info from the buyer

Reason
Doesn't seem authentic

Comments
After close inspection of this pack, I believe it may have been tampered with and would like to return it.

Select a reply
Accept the return
You pay for shipping and can send our return label or your own. Wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.
Offer another item just like it
The buyer can still decide to get a refund instead.
Offer a different item
The buyer can still decide to get a refund instead.
Give a full refund
You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.
Offer a partial refund
You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.
Send the buyer a message
You can reply to the buyer.

Now, as most of these Scumbags know, their is no defense for the Seller on E-Bay. And since I don't want to prolong this BS, I am not going to pay the shipping to return a $23.00 pack with $3.75 shipping then be out $ to ship it back to me and then refund the Buyer anyway. I'll just refund him and he gets to keep the Pack!

Is this really my only course of action? :s:(

Rant over

YeeHah!

Neil

Comments

• Options

Morning,

And the reason that I don't just pay for a label is that I have a bad taste in my mouth. The last time this happened, E-bay printed 9 Priority Envelopes on my dime for the return and the Buyer returned 9 empty envelopes and E-bay refunded him even with Photo evidence at the Post Office of empty envelopes! And I was still out $400. So who says the Buyer returns the Pack, either way I'll still be out!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay has gone a little too far imo. Buyer should have to pay return shipping if he/she just changes their mind.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I would ask for pictures of the pack showing where they think it was tampered with. Then mention you will compare that to your own pictures of the pack you shipped to them. Just see if they comply.

• Options

@DotStore said:
    I would ask for pictures of the pack showing where they think it was tampered with. Then mention you will compare that to your own pictures of the pack you shipped to them. Just see if they comply.

I will give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭

I sold a lot of about a dozen 1987 Donruss Greenwell's a while back. The buyer said that when he got them the cards were damaged and one was even torn in half. For the life of me, based on how I packaged them, I couldn't figure out how that could have happened. He asked for a partial refund. I told him that he could send them back for a full refund, which he did. When I received them, the cards were somehow restored, and even the card that was torn in half was now back together. So, he had the guts to try to scam me, but for some reason, he didn't have the guts to tear up the card to save face. Or maybe he just forgot the particulars of why he was returning the package since he probably returned a lot of packages.

Don

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2020 6:27PM

@DotStore said:

And I guess it doesn't matter what message you send the Buyer, they can just ignore your message and the outcome is still the same for the Seller! Just received this from Fee-Bay:

Hello,
    We can see your buyer splat219 has opened a return for the item 1983 Topps Michigan Test Baseball Wax Pack Many Rookies Possible.

We want to ensure you are clear about the returns process as a private seller, so here is some information we hope you find useful:
    When you listed this item, you chose to not accept domestic returns for remorse or change of mind returns.
    In this instance however, your buyer has opened the return stating that the item was not as described.
    Use the following link to access the return request:

When a “Not as described” return is filed, even private sellers are obliged to accept the return under the eBay Moneyback Guarantee Program.

Next Steps
    Provide the buyer with a shipping label so they can return the item to you.
    When you get the item back, you should refund your buyer through the return within 2 business days.
    If you provide your buyer with a full refund, you will receive an automatic final value fee credit.
    Thanks,

eBay

So I guess I'll pay for the Pack to be returned and see what happens! Empty Mailer Anyone!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

I think that message from eBay is just an automated message based on the current state of the transaction.

Might as well just send them a return label. I would guess that you will receive the pack back -- I looked up the userid and saw their feedback rating is (8416) with 100% positive feedback in the last 12 months. Maybe ask the user why he thinks it is tampered with...

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just pay for the buyer to return the pack.

Unfortunately, it's the price of doing business on ebay. There are alternatives

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Paid for the label...................

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Isn’t there an option in the return section that gives the option for buyer to pay for return shipping?

• Options

@ElvisP said:
    Isn’t there an option in the return section that gives the option for buyer to pay for return shipping?

Its not on option I could see, if you accept returns and its a Not As Described...Seller Pays for return! Wasn't given an option around this, just do it!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

Ebay has gotten worse and worse.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of unopened vintage packs that do not come through BBCE and PSA are resealed and fraudulent. That is just a fact. Unfortunately, the few people on eBay that try to sell legit unopened and non-authenticated vintage packs are navigating mine fields much like anyone who is trying to buy these same packs.

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

That is surprising that you got 9 empty envelopes and had photographic evidence at the post office and you still had to refund the buyer? The buyer has to return the items in the same condition as received. I recently returned a baseball card on ebay because it arrived with the BGS holder damaged (it was in a bubble mailer). I immediately sent photos to the seller and he was disappointed that it happened, but understood that he had to make me whole. The instructions to me by eBay were to package very carefully because it had to be returned as received (minus the damage on the holder). I am surprised this was not even enforced in your case. However, I heard of the cases of sellers getting back empty packages or even switched out items.
    Do not take it personally as its part of the initiation and rites of passage to becoming an experienced eBay seller.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Returns are part and parcel of selling. On eBay or anywhere else.

And I’m not sure you are being scammed.

And what is return shipping on a cello, 5 or 6 bucks?

I guess I’m not sure this is such an outrage. eBays policy is well known - basically anything can be returned in the condition it was sent. Same policy that all large sellers have. Welcome to digital commerce.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

basically anything can be returned in the condition it was sent. Same policy that all large sellers have. Welcome to digital commerce.

I think therein lies the rub. Sometimes they AREN'T returned in the condition they are sent. For an example, an SGC card can be cracked out, rejected by PSA, and sent back to the seller. The seller sold an SGC graded card. He did not get an SGC graded card back.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:

select the 14 day return policy and elect "buyer pays return shipping".

let's face it. the "does not accept returns" election is merely a joke.

i've found that just limiting the returns, that can happen anyway, to the smallest window possible and the fact that the buyer now has to pay to get the item back coupled that most scammers are lazy and cheap that it has kept my returns extremely limited.

• Options

@80sOPC said:

I guess I’m not sure this is such an outrage. eBays policy is well known - basically anything can be returned in the condition it was sent. Same policy that all large sellers have. Welcome to digital commerce.

Maybe I'm not being scammed,,,,,Hope not, but I will update. just have a bad taste in my mouth from the last return where I was scammed with 9 empty envelopes to the tune of $400!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

@80sOPC said:

Maybe I'm not being scammed,,,,,Hope not, but I will update. just have a bad taste in my mouth from the last return where I was scammed with 9 empty envelopes to the tune of $400!

YeeHah!

Neil

Is it possible to press charges for mail fraud?

• Options

Afternoon,

So pack was delivered back to me...in No Way is this pack Tampered with. As Pristine as the day it was Manufactured in 1983! Dude must see Conspiracy's everywhere!

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

That is a 1983 pack? I thought they would be in a folded wrapper like in the 1986 Topps. I am not familiar with 1983 anyway, but this kind of pack is hard to tamper with the way it is sealed.

The customer did return the item to you safe and sound. No scam. Some people are picky and return an item for any number of reasons that they do not want to state, but give some reason in order to have that opportunity to return it. Also, it looks like a card is visible through the wrapper, so maybe he saw it and thought this was not a good sequence? We can speculate for days on end. Bottom line, this was not a scam, just a return.

Scams do exist, but so do returns which to us may look fishy, suspect, or just plain strange, but that does not mean anything nefarious is behind it.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

@DeutscherGeist said:
    That is a 1983 pack? I thought they would be in a folded wrapper like in the 1986 Topps. I am not familiar with 1983 anyway, but this kind of pack is hard to tamper with the way it is sealed.

Yes - that's known as a "Michigan" pack. Couple of months ago I bought a pack from BBCE (they were only $12 in March). I opened it on my Birthday and got a Tony Gwynn!

Glad OP got the pack back -- maybe it's a sign you should open it and you will get one of the big 3...

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Neil,
    How about some fun? Three card lots: A) 1-3; B) 4-6; C) 7-9; D) 10-12; E) 13-15; Post pictures in order once lots are all purchased. Cost of $5/lot. If purchaser wants cards $3 ship. If the cards suck...don't bother mailing (up to buyer). I am in for lot B! YeeHaw!

Gregg

• Options

@WFFL said:
    Neil,
    How about some fun? Three card lots: A) 1-3; B) 4-6; C) 7-9; D) 10-12; E) 13-15; Post pictures in order once lots are all purchased. Cost of $5/lot. If purchaser wants cards $3 ship. If the cards suck...don't bother mailing (up to buyer). I am in for lot B! YeeHaw!

Gregg

Sure what the Hell....If 4 more are interested I'll Rip the pack and assign the cards like Gregg, suggested, from the front of the Pack to the Back! I'll Even ship the lots in a CS-1 if the person wants them.

Let Me Know!

Lot A
    Lot B. WFFL
    Lot C
    Lot D
    Lot E

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 4:56AM

Lot D

eta: w/ empty wrapper request :)

• Options

I’ll take lot C
    Dennis

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 357 ✭✭✭

Lot A please
    Pete

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@WFFL said:
    Neil,

Gregg

Sure what the Hell....If 4 more are interested I'll Rip the pack and assign the cards like Gregg suggested, from the front of the Pack to the Back! I'll Even ship the lots in a CS-1 if the person wants them.

Let Me Know!

Lot A azvike
    Lot B. WFFL
    Lot C. DScott
    Lot D Blurryface W/Wrapper
    Lot E

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 6:15AM

@dustinspeaks said:
    You can set up any return rules you want. It doesn't matter what your return rules are when a buyer says item not as described or arrived damaged.

you get the option to deny regardless of reason after 15 days if you elect the "14 day return" option. doesn't mean they can't take it to paypal.

we all know "no returns accepted" is an absolute joke. why folks continue to use it is mind-bottling. just limit them to two weeks and make them pay for the return. you will deal w/ way less riftraft.

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@thedutymon11 said:

@WFFL said:
    Neil,

Gregg

Sure what the Hell....If 4 more are interested I'll Rip the pack and assign the cards like Gregg suggested, from the front of the Pack to the Back! I'll Even ship the lots in a CS-1 if the person wants them.

Let Me Know!

Lot A azvike
    Lot B. WFFL
    Lot C. DScott
    Lot D Blurryface W/Wrapper
    Lot E. thedutymon

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

payment sent. sorry if i held break up.

• Options

@dustinspeaks said:
    If an item is returned as item not as described you don't get the option to deny. eBay will send them a shipping label and charge it to your account.

ok. i tried. best of luck!

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 357 ✭✭✭

payment sent - thanks!!

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Payment sent.

• Options

Payment sent

• Options

Afternoon ,

Al Paid....Lets do this, I am going to start new thread to clean this up!

YeeHah!

Neil