Home Sports Talk
Options

Three Astros batters hit by pitches

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three Houston Astros batters got plunked. The Astros won the game decisively, but Altuve and Springer were hit by pitches on back to back at-bats. The Twitter comments are already starting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/three-houston-astros-stars-got-hit-by-pitches-against-the-royals/ar-BB171upV

Comments

• Options

This is going to be fun to watch.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are the most hated team in all of sports. They are in for it.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying the Astros don't deserve to get hit. I'm not saying that they won't be intentionally thrown at many times over the course of the season. I'm not saying that every Royals pitchers deep down inside wouldn't have liked to bean every single batter yesterday. But I can tell you that in this instance, just looking at the game situations and the pitchers on the mound, and the fact that I believe all 3 pitches were breaking balls barely nicking the batters, this particular game is a non-story in relation to the trash can scandal.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I'm not saying the Astros don't deserve to get hit. I'm not saying that they won't be intentionally thrown at many times over the course of the season. I'm not saying that every Royals pitchers deep down inside wouldn't have liked to bean every single batter yesterday. But I can tell you that in this instance, just looking at the game situations and the pitchers on the mound, and the fact that I believe all 3 pitches were breaking balls barely nicking the batters, this particular game is a non-story in relation to the trash can scandal.

I don't think they were intentional either, I think people on Twitter are just making a big deal about it because it's the Astros and Altuve, Bregman, and Springer were hit. The bases were actually loaded on two of those plunkers. It certainly is going to be interesting to see what happens later on down the road!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    But I can tell you that in this instance, just looking at the game situations and the pitchers on the mound, and the fact that I believe all 3 pitches were breaking balls barely nicking the batters

The first one was a 95mph fastball that hit Altuve pretty solidly. The third one, not sure of the pitch, but it Springer pretty solidly too (mainly because he did a terrible job of getting out of the way).

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@countdouglas said:
    But I can tell you that in this instance, just looking at the game situations and the pitchers on the mound, and the fact that I believe all 3 pitches were breaking balls barely nicking the batters

The first one was a 95mph fastball that hit Altuve pretty solidly. The third one, not sure of the pitch, but it Springer pretty solidly too (mainly because he did a terrible job of getting out of the way).

I was only listening on the radio. I could be completely wrong, I guess. The first 2 were with the bases loaded, and I thought the first HBP was to Altuve, which I think they described as barely getting him, and in fact the catcher tried to make the case that it actually hit the bat. I was doing other things at the same time, so maybe Bregman had already been plunked and they were describing his HBP. My mistake if that's the case, but Jorge Lopez isn't out to hit batters with the bases loaded. He's trying to keep his job on the MLB team. The pitch to Springer, they described as being about eye level, a breaking ball that came out of the hand too early, and Springer kind of threw his arm up instead of ducking or backing away. Again, these are the homer radio guys, but I thought the MLB linked article to the Houston Chronicle described the HBPs the same way. Completely unintentional and not really at all related to the trash cans. Anyway, the Royals won't face them for real this year, so they won't be part of any story past this one.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2020 12:34PM

Oh my, the fans are getting feisty!

I like it because it's nice and juicy, and around here, that's the way we like our Astros scandals, nice and juicy!!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shocking!