Home Q & A Forum
Options

Question about authenticity

Hello everyone. I'm very new to collecting, especially graded coins. I recently received this 2020 US Silver Eagle that's graded MS70 by PCGS. Upon looking it up on the PCGS website, I noticed (what appears to me) a discrepancy. The coin is in a struck at the West Point Mint holder, but the website says it's a standard holder. Also, there is no "W" next to the 2020 on the label. I've seen other examples of this coin and they all have the "W" on the label. Did I get a bad coin our is it indeed authentic? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

The coin & the holder are fine. The mint only puts the W on collector coins, yours is the bullion version.

• Options

Oh really? I didn't know that there were different ones. Thank you so much for the info.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

That slab label is a marketing gimmick, IMO. A silver eagle is a quantity of bullion. It is not a coin as in currency. American Silver Eagles were first produced in 1986. MS70 is the highest grade so this one is as close to perfect by graders. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Namvet69 said.