Home Sports Talk
Options

Watching the upcoming hockey season, how in the US?

greetings all, curious to what's the best way to watch the upcoming NHL season, I am a loyal cord cutter, but I have a Roku. I hear about NBC and Sportsnet (also heard SN is only for Canada?) but thats about as far as I can get, any help?

regards goye

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello and welcome to the boards!

Good question. This year might be out for me, but next year the Minnesota Wild will have their Russian "Phenom" in the lineup, so I may break down and pay for sports.

I have heard Roku can get you some sports. Hulu had a sports package at one time, but I heard that the provider that carries the Twins and Wild (Fox Sports North?) got into a dispute with Hulu and they weren't broadcasting the games.

Have also heard of something called "Sling" that's supposed to be an possibility.

Personally, I refuse to pay for "Dish Network" and then pay to upgrade for a sports package, but I think getting a satellite service or cable is your best bet.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best way to watch hockey is to subscribe to the NHL streaming package. You can buy one team or every team. It's like $100-$110 for one team and then $130 or something for the whole league. Games are blacked out if they are available locally or are on NBCSN. The blackout ends when the game is over, however, so you can watch the game after it's over. This works great for me as I watch Red Wings games when I get home from work (I live on the west coast). Every game can be rewatched at any time. And you can turn off scores in the app so you don't know game results ahead of time.

The app has other features, too, like skipping over intermissions and commercial breaks when watching the "on-demand" (rather than live) version of the game.

Highly recommended, especially if your team is not in your local area.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Joe

who is the next Russian phenom?

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Joe

who is the next Russian phenom?

Kirill Kaprizov, the team's fifth-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft. He has developed into the best player in Europe.

From Minnesota Wild website;

" Wild fans have been clamoring for Kaprizov since he burst onto the international stage in 2017 when he scored nine goals in seven games for Russia at the World Junior Championships.

The following year, Kaprizov, who was the youngest player on the Olympic Athletes from Russia team in Pyeongchang, South Korea, scored the "Golden Goal" to help the Russians win the gold medal at the 2018 Winter Olympics. It was one of five goals and nine points he scored in six games in the tournament.

Kaprizov has led the Kontinental Hockey League in scoring each of the past two seasons, including 33 goals in an abbreviated 2019-20 season. While 33 goals in the NHL would be a great year, the KHL is viewed as a significantly lower-scoring league."

He is rumored to also play well defensively. He's a bit on the small side, hopefully he won't get "gooned on" too much.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    goyeintogoyeinto Posts: 36 ✭✭

Appreciate the feedback and dialogue on hockey, i'll heed the advice & report back.

Since starting Ive read that sportsnet.ca is showing games all day (in canada). The Hockey Guy claims their running from 10 a.m. to 10 p,m hockey claims in CA once they start.....

Is it's 110.000 for one team and an additional 130.00 for the rest of the league? Being newly retired i need to re-yankee myself again full time so to speak. Back in the day, 3 games a night was a short night

Hulu & Sling, i'll snoop around, kindest regards goye

p.s. eagle_eye

• Options

greetings and good news............

Using Roku, nhl.com, sells you nhl.live, for 5.00 for the rest of the year / season. Roughly 2 to 3 games a day. Blackouts apply. There are 4 to 6 channels that are covering games. Some of the better games are being shown on the pricier channels. Be careful on this site as somehow I ended up at the Canada site, blah, blah, blah. They presumed I was from Canada and were ready to sell it to me. If ewe see Rogers Place advert your on the CA site.

Canada customers are spending 74.95 for about the same amount of games or do it seemed.

• Options

Does anyone know if its possible to roku NBCsn, they selectively have all the better games, I am a cord cutter veteran. Thank you for any input, reagrds goye

• Options

I went to an electronics store the other day specifically to buy a Roku for hockey.

The guy said you need a "provider" like cable or satellite to get the games on the Roku.

The best way here in Minnesota is to get Hulu and pay about $50.00 per month for Fox Sports North.

I hate paying that much and the game the other night didn't start until 9:30 PM!

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Get an Amazon FireStick. Look up how to "jailbreak" it on YouTube, then download an app called Mobdro. Plenty of sports channels on there (US, Canadian, European). Allegedly, you would have been able to watch the Blackhawks/Oilers game last night on either NBCSN or SportsNetOne from Canada. ;)

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I am not sure about the services but playoff hockey is the best. Especially when you have a good matchup. Plus for me, the FLYERS are playing some of the best hockey right now.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net