Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did PCGS ever issue a large format sample slab?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 27, 2022 12:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've wondered about this for some time and just ran across the following puck sample slab.

It would be interesting for PCGS due to the different slab generations we've gone through for the large format slabs.

Comments

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those were actually "man-made" slabs, by ANACS, called a sample, but made for Jim Cauley of Errors and More (according to
    @davidschwager 's book). About a dozen were made... similar number likely for the new ATB ones.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Those were actually "man-made" slabs, by ANACS, called a sample, but made for Jim Cauley of Errors and More (according to
    @davidschwager 's book). About a dozen were made... similar number likely for the new ATB ones.

What does “man-made” mean here? Do you mean hand-made opposed to machine-made?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, one thing is sure --- at 5 ozt. those won't be handed out as "samples" any time soon!! :p

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@BStrauss3 said:

coins supplied and slabbing paid for

edited July 21, 2020 2:17AM

@davewesen said:

@Zoins said:

@BStrauss3 said:

coins supplied and slabbing paid for

Glad someone did it. Otherwise these wouldn't be available at all.

Here are some estimates on how may were made by David Schwager @davidschwager:

http://news.coinupdate.com/review-sample-slabs-2nd-ed-by-david-schwager/

Schwager says the “America the Beautiful” holder above is “the most physically impressive of all samples.” It debuted at the September 2013 Long Beach Expo “and began to appear on eBay soon after.”
    [...]
    In this entry below, Schwager also estimates how many of a certain holder might have been made:

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@keets said:
    well, one thing is sure --- at 5 ozt. those won't be handed out as "samples" any time soon!! :p

And I was hoping to get this one at a luncheon :)

YOW !! :o

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@keets said:

And I was hoping to get this one at a luncheon :)

I think you will have to pay something for that.......

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here are some estimates on how may [sic] were made by David Schwager @davidschwager:

The data is better than an estimate for the original dozen that Jim had made - it comes straight from the ANACS database (corrected for the one that's listed erroneously).

There have recently been sales of new 2018/2019 5oz ATBs:

David has one currently for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274432655453 and this one sold cheap because of the damage: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274418294276 ... the cert# is not shown on those two, so I can't check the database to see how many others were made.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that for the bigger submitters, PCGS would be happy to give them samples with pucks inside. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

@Lakesammman said:
    I suspect that for the bigger submitters, PCGS would be happy to give them samples with pucks inside. :D

I hope you get some! :)

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Have to wonder why multi coin holders were discontinued; I think there are many who want them.

@fiftysevener said:
    Have to wonder why multi coin holders were discontinued; I think there are many who want them.

Were they discontinued?

This one is from 2016 or later:

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think NGC offers them anymore.... at least not the proof set holders.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file