Home Sports Talk
Options

Lebron James rookie card sells for $1.8 million

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought everyone in the sports section might like to see this. A Lebron James rookie card has sold for $1.8 million, a new record for a modern card. The card was sold through Goldin Auctions. Here is the record setting card.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 19, 2020 3:51PM

My first thought?

$1.8 million for that? 😂😂

• Options

If I had $1.8 million dollars to blow, I would rather spend on potatoes, you just can't ever have enough potatoes.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

1.8 Million is ridiculous but if Lebron surpasses Jordan for the most iconic name in NBA history it might be worth it at some point.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect to see 22 more on the market shortly

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

But he is only 3-6 in the NBA Finals. Had Ray Allen missed his game tying basket in game 6 in 2013; and had Kyrie Irving missed his game winning shot in game 7 in 2016 the King could easily be 1-8.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    But he is only 3-6 in the NBA Finals. Had Ray Allen missed his game tying basket in game 6 in 2013; and had Kyrie Irving missed his game winning shot in game 7 in 2016 the King could easily be 1-8.

Tom Brady could easily be 0-9 in Super Bowls. I know Championships add big time to legacy but best players are still best players

• Options

Perkdog.

Tru Dat.

My reply was just ragging on the concept of greatness being measured by........"it's all about how many rings you have"

Like him or dislike him LeBron James is an all time great and by the time he retires he will likely be viewed as the GOAT (at least for a generation or two until the next player comes along who is 7'6" tall, 300 lbs with the skill set of LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, James Harden, Kawhai Leonard, Russell Westbrook and The Greek Freak all rolled into one player).

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

That much money for a modern 17 yr old card. Wow

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

This is making me want to start my Larry Bird collection back up again. I took a break from collecting Bird, but the itch is returning, and we all know there's only one way to deal with an itch, and that's to issue it a scratch!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This is making me want to start my Larry Bird collection back up again. I took a break from collecting Bird, but the itch is returning, and we all know there's only one way to deal with an itch, and that's to issue it a scratch!

Your first obligation is to Joe Louis, not Larry Bird! Finish your Joe Louis collection, then we'll worry about Larry Bird, you jerk.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon said:

Your first obligation is to Joe Louis, not Larry Bird! Finish your Joe Louis collection, then we'll worry about Larry Bird, you jerk.

Oh, name calling now are we? I'll collect who I want to!!

• Options

Double D, take it easy on yourself! 😂😂😂

• Options

It probably took James 1/10th of a second to scribble his “Auto” on that card 🙄

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2020 3:25AM

@perkdog said:
    It probably took James 1/10th of a second to scribble his “Auto” on that card 🙄

My thoughts exactly.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Double D, take it easy on yourself! 😂😂😂

I'll try perk, but sometimes that guy just gets on my nerves! If he keeps it up, I might just have to slap him around a little!

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about you guys but LeBron adds so much with his twitter guidance I think 1.8 million is a little light.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

If i was rich enough, i'd buy it, crack it, draw a beard on it, and resubmit...inspired by the bearded Mantle from another thread.

• Options

@stevek said:
    If i was rich enough, i'd buy it, crack it, draw a beard on it, and resubmit...inspired by the bearded Mantle from another thread.

😂😂😂😂

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had Ray Allen missed his game tying basket in game 6 in 2013; and had Kyrie Irving missed his game winning shot in game 7 in 2016 the King could easily be 1-8.

wow, just wow. we could sit here and go through all the scenarios which could have had LBJ at 7-2 but what fun would that be??

• Options

Keets.

King James could also be 9-0 in the Finals, just as he could be 0-9. And every other record in between.

My point was that some people only consider rings when debating who is the GOAT.

King James is the most durable NBA player that I can remember. After 16 or 17 years in the league (with 9 trips to the finals adding another 2 or so full seasons worth of games) his level of play has not dropped off. If he plays another 4-5 years without a drop off in his level of play he will be the all time scoring leader, with multiple other records, awards and likely more titles. He will definitely be the GOAT.

• Options

@SanctionII I agree with you on what you have posted

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin, I can agree with your post just above, but considering the bold post you made it seems like a "dig" on Lebron.

• Options

Keets.

I can see where you viewed the bolded text as a dig on the King. It was not.

From the standpoint of entertainment only, I have been hot and cold on LeBron James over the years (just like I have been with the NBA and college hoops).

I have always preferred pro and college hoops from the 1960S, 1970's and 1980's. Simply because that is when I played the sport.

However when viewing LeBron James without bias, no one can deny his greatness. If he plays 4-5 years more without a drop off in his level of play he will be the GOAT. His record in the Finals will not preclude him from being the GOAT since the last time I checked the NBA title goes to the best team every year, not the best individual player.

In golf, swimming and other individual sports titles will dictate who the GOAT is (i.e. Jack Nicholas, Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps).

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Breaking news!! The 23rd of 23 modern made scarce card sold today for $423. It wasn’t too long ago one lucky buyer paid $1.8 Million.
    But don’t fret Lebron fans, Exquisite card manufacturers has just had Lebron scribble 23 more coming to market soon.
    Early reports state the card will include a guaranteed Jersey with Covid since Lebron refused to play the 2020 season for lack of fans and a shortage of talc.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

It's a marketing/ advertisement purchase. "Take a couple million off my taxes please." 30 second Super Bowl ad or Lebron James rookie parallel??

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous.