Home Autographs Forum

Michael Jordan Auto Authentic??

Hello all,
Just wanted to get some people's opinions on the Michael Jordan autograph pictured below. I picked this up at an estate sale recently in the DC area. The jersey came custom framed. Back story is the man I purchased from was 85 years old and pretty wealthy, was a season ticket holder during Jordan's time with Wizards, and supposedly bought this at a charity auction in mid-2000s. Looks spot on to me, which is why i purchased it, but just hoping to get some opinions to (hopefully) support my thinking.

Supposedly he has a certificate but its gotten lost over the years.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will have to authenticated by an accepted authority in the field. Beware of claims made at estate sales. Professional estate sellers sometimes seed items into the sales that they own. No COA means no COA. Ignore any claims about the COA once existing.

While Michael Jordan has signed a lot of things his popularity insures that there will be a lot of fakes out there as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know his sig well enough to make any sort of guess. You could always put it on eBay for an outrageous sum (so it doesn't get purchased) and get a PSA Quick Opinion: https://www.psacard.com/quickopinion It's worth the $10 to have an expert weigh in before paying for a full authentication.

• Here are some of his UDA authenticated jerseys sigs

• Thanks all. I took LarkinCollector's advice and posted on ebay and then got quick opinion. It came back likely genuine. I'm not looking to sell it, and to get a full opinion, I'd have to take out of frame and then have it reframed, so I'll pass on that. Thanks again for insights from everyone!

• Cardman99Cardman99 Posts: 38
    edited July 22, 2020 9:08PM

The “M” and the “J” on his upper deck authenticated items are different. The M is detached in your photo, and the J doesn’t have the big circle and little circles - In yours it doesn’t look as smooth. MJ doesn’t pickup the pen on his “M” and if you look closely on yours he picked up the pen....maybe he was in a rush, but then again the sig doesn’t look rushed on that jersey, it looks almost too careful. MJ rarely signs outside of UDA. If you want the real deal, UDA is always the way to go. It still could be real, but I personally would have my doubts based on that M and J.

• I would say have a reputable third party authenticator review it, it is a nice piece!

• Cardman 99 - I initially htought the same thing, but found some UDA's that look very similar where he lifted up on the M for some reason - maybe rushed. Look at this one!

• Cardman99Cardman99 Posts: 38
    edited July 23, 2020 9:30PM

Great find on that one, i did an Ebay search of "Michael Jordan uda" as well and saw it too though it appears only on a few items out of the hundreds, but nonetheless there are some where he skips. If I eventually get an MJ auto it is going to be UDA with a smooth sig. He has one of the most iconic in all of sports.