Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 Topps Magic Johnson RC PSA 10 on eBay right now

ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-Basketball-139-Magic-Johnson-RC-Rookie-HOF-w-Dr-J-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/363048014739?hash=item5487591393:g:5fwAAOSwOBtfDbJ~

Okay, so not exactly a million dollar Gretzky but this should be an interesting auction to watch. It's a pop 18 (the Bird/Dr. J/Magic is pop 23) and they only come up for sale once every year or two (except for 2017). Obviously, one hasn't surfaced since card prices went bonkers months ago.

Considering the Bird/Dr. J/Magic is a $100,000 card, this is a pretty decent work around for someone that wants a Magic rookie in PSA 10. Hopefully it's a clean auction with no funny business.

Arthur

ETA: This is NOT my card and I do not endorse bidding with Probstein.

Comments

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 357 ✭✭✭

Not crazy about it....perforations not centered and lots of tiny black PD

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Ugg... no way that should be a 10. Perforations don't matter as long as they fall in the white... but centering, the tilt and the print defects make this look like it belongs in a 8 holder. Frustrating knowing my Bird/Magic 9 will never bump to a 10... only because of a crop mark that was there by design. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

How is that card a 10 with those tiny black dots on the front??? I can see maybe an 8.5 without qualifier. Or 9 with PD. But a 10?

• Options

The registration is awful too... look how offset the yellow is (specifically around the green letters/borders).

• Options

Thought it might go for more but doubling in price is still a solid bump.

• Options

Yikes... hopefully they don't try to reholder that, they'll lose a grade or two on that one. Perfect example of someone buying the holder, not the card.

• Options

As an owner of one, I still like to see the strong result though.

Arthur

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I would much rather have the bird/magic one in lower grade.

• Options

@ElvisP said:
    I would much rather have the bird/magic one in lower grade.

I think that's pretty much the general consensus. I know for me, as a Celtics fan, I looked at it and thought "I can get a PSA 10 Larry Bird rookie for $1,200?" And that was that. I bought one of the next few to come to market. At that point I figured the Magic was also a steal at it's going rate back then and picked one them up.

The pops are so low that you don't need the widespread demand that an iconic card like the Bird/Dr. J/Magic gets. Considering what every other player of their caliber goes for in PSA 10, these cards are an absolute bargain. At least I think so. But I can see the demand for a lower-grade Bird/Dr.J/Magic card, too.

Arthur

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Agree 100%

With the Bird/Johnson card probably close to $200K now (just guessing based on the last sale I know of back in September 2018 at $125K, and the way the PSA 9's have almost tripled). How are the Single RC's of either player in PSA 10 so cheap?

Any other player of their caliber in PSA 10 would go for much higher... Also the other cards from that set featuring Bird or Magic (like All Star Cards) seem to be a relatively good value. My thoughts are that some PSA 10's on that set would NOT get a PSA 10 now because of tougher grading. So anything with a PSA 10 on it is going to be rare (from the 1980 Topps Basketball set).

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 10:57AM

Here’s my one 10 Cheeks rookie and a couple sidekicks. Any thoughts on well graded or over graded?

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

To amplify the disparity, the Bird/Magic card is actually a double print... so there's half as many of the solo RCs floating around out there.