CRH on college applications

2»

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@winesteven said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I have to ask, Pre-Med vrs. Finance are almost polar opposites in a choice for a career. Which do you really want to do as that is a big decision.

Not necessarily a problem. I started out as a Bio Major for Pre-Med, but couldn't get in to Med School.

If you can't get into a US medical school and are determined, a Caribbean medical school may be the ticket.

I know the son of a US doctor who wanted to go into medicine but couldn't get into a US medical school. He went to school in the Caribbean and then got a US residency.

St. George's University in Grenada, West Indies advertises the following:

Find Out Why We Are #1 Provider of Doctors in 1st-Year US Residencies over Last 10 Years! You Were Born to Be a Doctor, So Start Your Journey Now. Apply to St. George's University!

https://www.sgu.edu/md/discover/

US News and World Report has an article on these schools:

Dr. Joshua Mansour, who earned his medical degree from Ross University School of Medicine – a Caribbean school that was previously based in Dominica but is now based in Barbados – and subsequently completed a medical fellowship at Stanford University in California, says he has no regrets.

"At the end of the day, I completed my training at Stanford after everything, so it didn't hinder me from getting a top-tier training ... I was actually very happy how that worked out," he says.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/articles/what-to-know-about-caribbean-medical-schools

True match rate is horrible. Most of the Caribbean medical school class is lost through attrition and never makes it to match. This will only get worse now that Step 1 is pass/fail (test used by residency directors and part of the three medical license exam series).

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2020 12:45AM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

@winesteven said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I have to ask, Pre-Med vrs. Finance are almost polar opposites in a choice for a career. Which do you really want to do as that is a big decision.

Not necessarily a problem. I started out as a Bio Major for Pre-Med, but couldn't get in to Med School.

If you can't get into a US medical school and are determined, a Caribbean medical school may be the ticket.

I know the son of a US doctor who wanted to go into medicine but couldn't get into a US medical school. He went to school in the Caribbean and then got a US residency.

St. George's University in Grenada, West Indies advertises the following:

Find Out Why We Are #1 Provider of Doctors in 1st-Year US Residencies over Last 10 Years! You Were Born to Be a Doctor, So Start Your Journey Now. Apply to St. George's University!

https://www.sgu.edu/md/discover/

US News and World Report has an article on these schools:

Dr. Joshua Mansour, who earned his medical degree from Ross University School of Medicine – a Caribbean school that was previously based in Dominica but is now based in Barbados – and subsequently completed a medical fellowship at Stanford University in California, says he has no regrets.

"At the end of the day, I completed my training at Stanford after everything, so it didn't hinder me from getting a top-tier training ... I was actually very happy how that worked out," he says.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/articles/what-to-know-about-caribbean-medical-schools

True match rate is horrible. Most of the Caribbean medical school class is lost through attrition and never makes it to match. This will only get worse now that Step 1 is pass/fail (test used by residency directors and part of the three medical license exam series).

Good to know about the the match rate.

Nevertheless, the one person that I know that did this, was successful in gaining a US residency.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file