Home Q & A Forum
Options

1971 New 2 Pence Minting Error

I bought a handful of foreign change this weekend from the estate of a world traveler. In the mix was this 1971 New 2 Pence coin with a blank obverse. It was not machined or milled off, as it weighs exactly the same as other New 2'S in the lot. Have not found ANYTHING on the net mentioning another one. Comments?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find. I like it! Kinda weird that there's no raised rim on the blank side. What do that mean? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I have always thought that the raised rim was "rolled" on by applying pressure to the edge of the coin before the faces were stamped. Wikipedia says it is the result of the pressure of the face and obverse being stamped at the same time, between the 2 dies, and "squishing" out the bronze into the lip. I don't see how that could be, as since there WAS no obverse die, and the face appears perfect. More will be revealed....

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rolling mill puts a partial rim on a blank. The full rim is formed when the planchet is struck by the dies.

I am not sure what to make of your coin. It's possible for 2 planchets (post roller mill) or blanks (no roller mill) to be stuck together, then struck but I would think there would be some unevenness if they weren't perfectly aligned with each other when they entered the striking chamber. You said the weight is correct (7.12gms) so that would eliminate abrasive removal

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is missing the reverse . The obverse is there.

How far out does your scale go? Is there any rounding there?

I am not sure how that blank reverse could happen in the minting process. I would still vote for planed off reverse unless/until proven otherwise. In the photo I sense a surface that tapers near the edge, which would support mechanical removal.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did you get for the weight?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

From my own work in a machine shop (a million years ago) I know that when a blank (planchet) is stamped out of a sheet of metal, it is ALWAYS curved down on the edges from the top side down due to the cutting action of the die coming down. The bottom side may cut through perfectly flat, but the top side will always be curved due to the "tearing" of the metal in question. Look at any flat washer in your home. Same process, same result.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jpooky said:
    From my own work in a machine shop (a million years ago) I know that when a blank (planchet) is stamped out of a sheet of metal, it is ALWAYS curved down on the edges from the top side down due to the cutting action of the die coming down. The bottom side may cut through perfectly flat, but the top side will always be curved due to the "tearing" of the metal in question. Look at any flat washer in your home. Same process, same result.

Yes I am sure that is true but when that blank side is opposite the side that is being struck with many tons of pressure such that a design is struck up, I assume that effect would be flattened out entirely.

• Options

Curious as to the value of a1971 2 New Pence would be...say if the picture above was normally struck on both sides, having the same wear and tone as the picture shows??

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bout a pic of the edge and a weight? Good luck.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

@devilwoman said:
    Curious as to the value of a1971 2 New Pence would be...say if the picture above was normally struck on both sides, having the same wear and tone as the picture shows??

It is a very common coin and if in circulated condition like the one shown there is no real value.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would beg to differ and say it appears to be legit and would also have some value, I would guess 100 USD or so. PM me if you'd like.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

PM me if you'd like.
    Don't expect a reply. This post is three years old and is the only post made by the OP