Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1971 New 2 Pence minting error coin

I bought a handful of various coinage from a world traveler's estate sale this weekend. Included is a 1971 New 2 Pence coin with a blank obverse. It has NOT been milled or machined off in any way. It weighs EXACTLY what other New 2 Pence coins do. Searched all over the net, and not a single mention of another one like it. Comments?

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely struck in the dies with another piece - stacked as it were. Even without the ghosting that is sometimes seen. Brits don't care a lot about these sort of errors and I have occasionally bought such for very little. Even OMS coins are not all that uncommon and generally bring 50-150 dollars or so. I bought a few years ago a 1960s Halfcrown struck on the old penny planchet for about 250...
    That having been said, feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Collectors are putting low value in a very rare and error, New Pence 2, 1971 coin. I have one of that and want to sell. What will be it's value? Contact me on prafullananda8@gmail.com

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, what you got is the truth of it. I have collected British coins for 30 years and have bought such or even quite a bit better. Value? Lucky if you get 200 USD. I have three 1971 2p struck in copper nickel gotten at 50-120 USD>

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than 50 years ago a friend of mine in High School had a wartime British Half Penny that his father brought back from Europe that only had the reverse struck. It also did not appear to be worked on in any way. Since it was a British coin we just thought of it as a curiosity not as something that would have much value. I wonder where that coin is today?

All glory is fleeting.