Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warren Moon is in my opinion in the top 10 of the best ever.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 3:56AM

I had forgotten about his time in the CFL and I didn't realize he won five straight championships while he was there.

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 5:14AM

Thanks for posting this article! He was a great quarterback. He put up great stats in the CFL, then came to the NFL and did the same thing. CFL and NFL Hall of Famer. Can only imagine what could have been if he was allowed to play QB in the NFL right out of college. Powerful and truthful quote from the article:

“I owe so much to the league and to the country because you guys gave me a chance to play professional football **when my own country **wasn’t going to do that. If I didn’t have that opportunity, who knows what would have happened to my career,” Moon said on The Rod Pedersen Show.

“I probably wouldn’t have played in the NFL at another position and if the Canadian Football League wasn’t around I probably would’ve gone on and just finished law school and become a lawyer, I would’ve never played football again. So I owe so much to the fans up there, to** the league itself**, to Hugh Campbell for seeing something in me that a lot of other people didn’t see.”

He threw one of the tightest spirals too! Rocket arm! Just typing this makes me want to pick up one of his autos today! Thanks Double D.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Parkerplenty123 said:
    Thanks for posting this article! He was a great quarterback. He put up great stats in the CFL, then came to the NFL and did the same thing. CFL and NFL Hall of Famer. Can only imagine what could have been if he was allowed to play QB in the NFL right out of college. Powerful and truthful quote from the article:

“I owe so much to the league and to the country because you guys gave me a chance to play professional football **when my own country **wasn’t going to do that. If I didn’t have that opportunity, who knows what would have happened to my career,” Moon said on The Rod Pedersen Show.

“I probably wouldn’t have played in the NFL at another position and if the Canadian Football League wasn’t around I probably would’ve gone on and just finished law school and become a lawyer, I would’ve never played football again. So I owe so much to the fans up there, to** the league itself**, to Hugh Campbell for seeing something in me that a lot of other people didn’t see.”

He threw one of the spirals too! Rocket arm! Just typing this makes me want to pick up one of his autos today! Thanks Double D.

You're welcome. It's a great article and I just had to share it with everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would put him in my top 10-15.

I never saw another QB throw a prettier deep ball. Tight, fast spirals. I would like to know his MPH on some of those rockets across the middle.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 5:45PM

I always liked his Topps RC! I used to have one in PSA 9(One of very few football cards I ever owned)! I'm sure most everyone who reads this thread is familiar with the card, but if not, here it is! Pic courtesy of COMC!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

top 10 QB of all time. Too bad he was on the losing end of that Buffalo Bills playoffs comeback in 93.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    top 10 QB of all time. Too bad he was on the losing end of that Buffalo Bills playoffs comeback in 93.

While not near as deep of a hole, let's not forget that Joe Montana mounted a 4th quarter comeback in the Astrodome the following year to foil Moon's potential rematch with Buffalo in the AFC Championship Game. Moon was certainly the victim of some poor Oilers' defensive efforts in the playoffs.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moon was also very effective at an advanced age. He had some good years, if I remember correctly, at the end with the Vikings. Played well into his 40s

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.