Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

possible 1944 experimental cent blank planchet

I was searching through a roll of coins that contained all pre 1950 pennies in it. In this roll I found a blank planchet. I didn't think much of it until i put it on the scales and it weighed 4.1 grams. I am thinking it was intended to be a 1944 experimental cent. Is there any way of telling this?

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a blank planchet. They get out from the mint occasionally. Not particularly rare. I have one.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your scale is correct and from the looks of it you may have a copper slug not intended for use as a coin.

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    If your scale is correct and from the looks of it you may have a copper slug not intended for use as a coin.

This. You can sometimes find them in quarter rolls. Well, I guess you can technically find them wherever coins are. I have about a dozen from when I was a kid. They'd make perfect quarters, except that now some vending machines just scan your coin and the AI runs the likelihood of it being real. My grandma made sure to tell me to never try and pass them off as currency or use them. I'm really glad I didn't. They're a fun piece of history from a different world.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you even come to the conclusion that it could be a 1944 copper planchet? There would be no way of telling if it was and it would weight the same as any other copper planchet at 3.1 grams.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

the best advice is to send it in to be looked at by experts and see what they say instead of making wild guesses at what is could be

8/28/24 -9/28-24 :|

• there were some coins in minted in 1944 that were called experimental planchets because they weighed 4.1 grams... thats the only coins i can find that weigh 4.1 grams

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could have had this back from grading by now.

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    You could have had this back from grading by now.

And he could have wasted 50$

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the Buy/Sell/Trade page, not the discussion page. Try posting in the proper location for a start.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• I know this comment thread was around a year and half ago but I was hoping to find out if you ever ended getting more information on your blank penny planchet. I have the exact same penny blank you describe!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@Kliao said:
    How did you even come to the conclusion that it could be a 1944 copper planchet? There would be no way of telling if it was and it would weight the same as any other copper planchet at 3.1 grams.

It's obviously a pattern Flying Eagle cent and worth more like one million dollars...

Just don't carve an "X" into the back of it.

peacockcoins

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Definitely a 1943 copper.
    I have one as well.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Delete