Home Q & A Forum
Options

Going through some copper pennies when one stood out???

TimbobbTimbobb Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

This 1964 Philadelphia penny weighs 2.5 grams.

Comments

• Options

Here’s a couple more pictures. Could this be one of the SMS pennies???

It’s worn some.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry @Timbobb I can't say exactly what happened to your coin, but there is absolutely, positively no way this could occur during the minting process. Based on your pics, the coin has suffered a lot of damage after it left the mint. Please check your scale for calibration.

Why would you think it's a 1964 SMS? All of the 64 SMS coins were found in the estate of a retired mint director and subsequently slabbed by a TPG in the late 80s. Are you proposing that you found a coin that was cracked out of a slab, then suffered a lot of damage in circulation, only for you to find it years later in change? I would strongly recommend staying away from the "get rich from pocket change" videos on YouTube. Nothing but a bunch of hacks posting click bait hoping to get neophyte collectors to follow them.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    Sorry @Timbobb I can't say exactly what happened to your coin, but there is absolutely, positively no way this could occur during the minting process. Based on your pics, the coin has suffered a lot of damage after it left the mint. Please check your scale for calibration.

Why would you think it's a 1964 SMS? All of the 64 SMS coins were found in the estate of a retired mint director and subsequently slabbed by a TPG in the late 80s. Are you proposing that you found a coin that was cracked out of a slab, then suffered a lot of damage in circulation, only for you to find it years later in change? I would strongly recommend staying away from the "get rich from pocket change" videos on YouTube. Nothing but a bunch of hacks posting click bait hoping to get neophyte collectors to follow them.

I did check my calibration half a dozen times. Just to make sure. I’m not sure why it says 2.5 grams. I will post a picture of me weighing two 1964 pennies separate. And no it is not a SMS after doing some research. And I know it’s not a penny/silver 1964 penny because it is copper. 2.5 grams??? Don’t know why. I was bored so I was like let’s go through some copper pennies that I had pulled from coin roll hunting pennies. And this one caught my attention. Could be counterfeit?? It is very thinner than any other copper penny I have seen. I also thought if it was worn down that bad wouldn’t Abs face and shoulders be worn down more as well?? Here is my calibration.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats cool !
    Can't say I like the metal coil.
    Try using a sponge with a cut out.
    I'm sure there's an answer to your question,
    And I'm not the one to give it to you.
    Now, its another check point in my hunt.
    It's cool though.
    Congrats.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a homemade copy made for fun. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Could be a homemade copy made for fun. Peace Roy

Since I can’t find nothing about it. I believe it’s a homemade counterfeit. Wow didn’t know they made counterfeit 1964 pennies. Good to know. I believe I will spend it.

• Options

Everything is fake now. 😂🤣

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a lot of wear and damage to me.

• Options

It might be on a foreign planchet...hard to say in that poor of a condition. I'd suggest sending it to NGC or PCGS.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2020 9:05PM

@emeraldATV said:
    Thats cool !
    Can't say I like the metal coil.
    Try using a sponge with a cut out.
    I'm sure there's an answer to your question,
    And I'm not the one to give it to you.
    Now, its another check point in my hunt.
    It's cool though.
    Congrats.

On the reverse in the boxed area, I've seen many with this pattern of ware .
    Always in latter dates.
    The hunt is now canceled.

• Options

1974 cent

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weakness in the ST of States is common on 1981 and prior.
    It is a striking weakness because the shoulder is one of the high points on the obverse. ;)