Home Sports Talk
Options

NHL and NBA 2019-2020 playoffs.......

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

........... how do you think they will turn out?

I can see them being a fiasco (for many, many reasons); and I can see them being ok.

What I am curious about is whether sports fans will have any interest in having these late fall/winter/early spring sports restart in the summer, while there are so many other things going on (i.e. Covid 19, protests, job losses, election, etc).

Your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

i may be wrong about this, but i think it's going to be an unmitigated disaster. per what i said in another thread recently, golf seems to be the "safest" sport, yet there are still 10 or so players who have caught covid since they fired back up. and those guys are doing everything they possibly can to avoid the virus, because a positive test means missed income opportunities.

honestly, i'm not the least bit excited about any other sport during the pandemic, and my fandom pretty much covers all the bases (pun intended because i no longer give a rip about baseball). if any sport outside of golf can't make a go of it, it won't faze me one iota.

take today, for instance. Russell Westbrook catches corona. how much fun is it going to be when marquee players have to sit? there are going to be numerous disruptions throughout the "season" and in my eyes that's a train wreck waiting to happen. can you imagine the Lake Show making the finals and then LBJ subsequently testing positive? you talk about anticlimactic.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should just cancel it and move on.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

i also want to add this. a few days ago the Dallas ISD Superintendent came out and said he has serious doubts that HS football will be able to be played amid the pandemic. and if you're thinking, "big deal, who cares, some high-ranking official mouthing off about high school football." no, no. you don't understand. this is high school football in Texas. it is larger than life. it is a religion. so for him to come out and say that speaks volumes. if HS football doesn't go down here, i can't imagine it taking place in college. and if the NFL force-feeds us, it may very well fall flat on its face.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the 2020 March Madness tournament did not take place the NCAA reportedly lost over $300,000,000.00 in revenue.

That lost revenue will not be distributed to NCAA member schools and that will have an impact on the school's sports programs.

If D-1 college football for 2020 is cancelled that will result in even larger revenue loss.

The impact of Covid 19 is on sports and on society in general is incalculable.