Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Type set collectors: how many registry sets do you create?

There's Basic US Design, Complete US Design, Dansco 7070 set, etc, etc. How many do you create? Anything and everything? Or just certain ones?

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020 7:06PM

I started with Basic US Design a long time ago, even before I partook in the Registry. I’ve worked on upgrading those coins for decades, and “finished” about a year ago.

Along the way, I’ve added several small “subsets”, adding a coin or two (or three, lol) to complete each of those sets.

At the end of this past February, I read a post from another forum member who had just completed a gorgeous Dansco 7070 set. After realizing I already had most of those coins, it inspired me to add that set. Since then I’ve added several of the “missing” coins, and I now have just one more coin to go to complete that set. What fun!!!!!

I just did a count. Including the new CAC Composite Type Sets, I partake in a total of 24 Type Sets in the Registry.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 3:22PM

Technically I have 7, but 3 aren’t published and most of them overlap. I’m mainly doing the 19th Century, Dansco 7070, and 12 Piece gold but it’s more because for a lot of the coins if I buy it for one, it fits the others.

For instance, I did the 12 gold this weekend simply because the same coins fit in all three and I purchased my first one to start the set so why not!.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a 1st Year of Issue type set, so I was excited to see they have it. Two flavors: 1793-1964 and 1793-present, I guess I'll do both. I requested a "no gold" version, but see where they're not adding US registry sets right now. I also love the idea of doing a virtual 7070 set. I've heard people complain about the overlap, but are they buying duplicates for each registry? I'm just using the same coin for both.

You can use the same coin for your overlap sets, as the sets each have a different Set Composition. Some people make a second set of the identical Registry Set. In that case, no duplicates are allowed (ethically).

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

I appreciate this discussion. I am confused as to what Type Set to go for. I will never obtain a Disme, or those old old US gold coins. However, I do like all the small varieties of the same coin as they made subtle changes. I am excited to hear what the von census is.

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2020 9:35PM

@baseballjeff You’re not alone. I struggle with that all the time which is why I have so many hidden sets! The thing I try to keep in mind is you don’t have to finish a set. It’s ok to have a few holes. It’s about having fun and finding coins you like. I have the 19th Century Circulation Strike both with and without gold. The without gold will be challenging, but I might be able to complete it someday with a few key lower grade coins for some early bust slots. The set including gold will never be competed. It requires coins that cost multiple cars in value and needs several of them. However, I can complete about half the gold coins that are required and I like those pieces, so I’m ok with that.

The smaller sets will come as I work on the larger. The small cent type set will be largely completed by completing the small cent section of the 19th century, plus adding in some Lincoln’s which can be done cheaply.

The Seated Liberty type sets will be completed on its own just by completing some of the slots for the 19th again as the same slots apply to both.

The Dansco 7070 set can have all of the difficult slots filled as I do my 19th century and then I just need the less expensive 20th century pieces to fill it out.

So yea, it depends on what you want to do and what you like best, but don’t feel like you HAVE to compete a set to make it worth while. Just have fun!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

@SiriusBlack said:
    The thing I try to keep in mind is you don’t have to finish a set. It’s ok to have a few holes. It’s about having fun and finding coins you like.

Exactly! I'm starting a First Year of Issue type set (yes, PCGS has it). But I know I'll never own a 1916 SLQ, so I'll substitute it with a 1917. First year I can afford.

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

It would be nice if a new set was created. I think there is a lot of demand for a solid type set and not having to work on 5-10 sets.

@Along said:
    It would be nice if a new set was created. I think there is a lot of demand for a solid type set and not having to work on 5-10 sets.

They already have it. It’s called “Complete Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set”.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great topic @Rob9874
    I have one type set.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@winesteven
    You should post a link to your high ranking US Design Set so that all of us may enjoy your fabulous coins in that set. :) Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

edited July 31, 2020 3:28AM

@1630Boston said:
    @winesteven
    You should post a link to your high ranking US Design Set so that all of us may enjoy your fabulous coins in that set. :) Boston

Thanks for your kind words. Rather than that set, back in February I was inspired by a post to expand my Basic set you referred to, to a digital Dansco 7070 set. I'm #3, behind D.L. Hansen and his wife (or daughter) Diana - both impossible to catch, even though I still have one hole to fill.

Five of these coins are currently undergoing Reconsideration at PCGS, so the photos may not show. Additionally, it's at that stage at PCGS of grading/encapsulation that the coins themselves might get temporarily pulled from my registry sets, so rankings can temporarily change. This usually gets fixed in a few days.

Some interesting stats:
    1) In this set of 84 coins, 67 of my coins are eligible to receive a CAC. 100% of these 67 coins eligible for a CAC have one!

2) Plus Grades - Coins graded 69 or 70 are ineligible to get a “+” grade. In this set of 84 coins, 15 are graded 69 or 70, and are therefore ineligible for a “+” grade. Of the remaining 69 coins potentially eligible for a “+”, 51 of my coins in this set have a “+”. Five of those 51 are the ONLY ones in that grade with a “+”. Not top pops, but a pop of only 1 for each of those five coins.

3) This set contains one Flying Eagle Cent and three Indian Head Cents. Not only do each of those four coins have a CAC sticker, but all four each have the “Eagle Eye Photo Seal” from Rick Snow. Three of those four also have a “+”.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/alltimeset/213996

Beautiful coins @winesteven :)

@1630Boston said:
    Beautiful coins @winesteven :)

Thanks again for your kind words.