Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Something to argue about other than CAC

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's argue. Why don't more people collect commems?
Interesting to non-collectors.
Not boring.
Educational.
Hmm..... B)

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s because many people don’t identify with the things being commemorated. I imagine Iowans are more interested in an Iowa commem than a Floridian. On top of that, many are kinda blah or have uninspiring production qualities.

For me, many of the classic commemorative coins don’t commemorate something I am interested in and many just don’t aesthetically appeal to me.

I did buy a gold sesquicentennial coin because I liked it. I may buy the silver counterpoint if I find a really nice one. But that’s the exception.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 2:07PM

I like commems but only about 20 designs. I was thinking about starting a box of 20 for them but there are so many other types of coins to collect and I have limited funds. Plus it seems like they're always available so what's the hurry other than possibly having depressed prices at the moment?

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are cool, some aren’t.

Even some of the ones that most see as boring, I find to be cool like the Delaware commem.

If I see an underpriced and good looking commem, I’ll usually buy it.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Not even sure where to stat on this one. Even when they were made most were not popular.
    and, well, I have little interest in most of them just as I have little use for the modern ones. Probably should end here so as not to upset anyone's apple cart.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to get a good argument when a lot of collectors agree:
    NOT Interesting to collectors.
    VERY boring.
    NOT Educational, what young person wants history these days except to tear down.

But if you can get jmlanzaf on your thread its sure to see at least 100 replies. >:)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Walkerfan said!

• Options

@keets said:
    this may be without a doubt the best time to start buying Commems if there are designs or themes that you like. it has always been easy to wait until you found an example of a specific issue that you found attractive, there are many to choose from. now, not only is it possible to do that but it can be done at a higher grade level, often MS66-67.

Most were minted for financing monuments and stuff.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Hard to get a good argument when a lot of collectors agree:
    NOT Interesting to collectors.
    VERY boring.
    NOT Educational, what young person wants history these days except to tear down.

But if you can get jmlanzaf on your thread its sure to see at least 100 replies. >:)

Say my name 3 times and see what happens...

I love commems. I think they are under-appreciated. But never argue with Mr. Market.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    I only like coins that were actually used in commerce and are very scarce due to attrition.

I do not like something that was made just to be collected and is not a true coin. JMHO.

So I presume you don't own any proof Walkers?

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Possible reasons:

The price action has been terrible for thirty years and counting.
    Not particularly challenging given the number of UNC specimens extant unless you do high grade and/or wild toners.
    A lot of the designs are rather boring.
    Not necessarily educational unless you do some background research.

It's only not particularly challenging because of the lack of interest. Bit of a circular argument. You've got a fair number of commems with mintages of 10,000 or less which is pretty small for a U.S. coin. But, like $10 gold spouses, sometimes 10,000 is more than enough! ;)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:
    I only like coins that were actually used in commerce and are very scarce due to attrition.

I do not like something that was made just to be collected and is not a true coin. JMHO.

Actually, I don't, so you are correct, because I DO prefer business strikes.

To me, proofs fall in the middle of what I'd like to collect.

1. Business strikes.
    2. Proofs
    3. Commems.

in that order.....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:

1. Business strikes.
    2. Proofs
    3. Commems.

in that order.....

Fair enough. There are actually stamp collectors who only collect used because otherwise they are not postal.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:

1. Business strikes.
    2. Proofs
    3. Commems.

in that order.....

Hmm...What about proof classic commemoratives?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    Possible reasons:

Not particularly challenging given the number of UNC specimens extant unless you do high grade and/or wild toners.

It's only not particularly challenging because of the lack of interest. Bit of a circular argument. You've got a fair number of commems with mintages of 10,000 or less which is pretty small for a U.S. coin. But, like $10 gold spouses, sometimes 10,000 is more than enough! ;)

Not really. If there were more interest, they would all still be readily available, just at (slightly) higher prices. The 10,000 mintage argument is meaningless because the vast majority of classic commems are still uncirculated unlike many business strikes of similar mintage where you may be talking about a handful of UNCs known.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 4:30PM

And your off!! I told you that getting jmlanzaf would get you numbers, he is already good for 5 posts and going strong.

Edited to add: that's twice what happens on the third time?? :D

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    And your off!! I told you that getting jmlanzaf would get you numbers, he is already good for 5 posts and going strong.

Now that I've responded to him, multiply by a suitable integer. :D

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. I generally despise “made for collector” stuff, but the commem bug bit me hard and one is in the mail on its way to me right now. Still, I just can’t tolerate some of them (Rhode Island anyone?) so it’s doubtful I’ll ever get them all. 20 good designs is easy. 30 is doable, but beyond that it’s pretty grim.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    Possible reasons:

Not really. If there were more interest, they would all still be readily available, just at (slightly) higher prices. The 10,000 mintage argument is meaningless because the vast majority of classic commems are still uncirculated unlike many business strikes of similar mintage where you may be talking about a handful of UNCs known.

So, you think there are less than 10,000 SVDBs?

If commems were as popular as lincoln cents, a lot of those commems would be hard to find.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 4:53PM

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 4:52PM

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 4:54PM

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 4:58PM

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 4:59PM

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 5:02PM

You

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 5:04PM

would

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 5:04PM

think

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 5:06PM

that

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 5:07PM

if

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that most people don’t like to lose money. Except for high end rainbow toned pieces the prices have continually declined since 1990 with few exceptions.

• Options

someone

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are stamp collectors?????

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@ms71 said:
    There are stamp collectors?????

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    Possible reasons:

If commems were as popular as lincoln cents, a lot of those commems would be hard to find.

No, I do not think there are fewer than 10,000 SVDBs. What is your point exactly? SVDBs are not hard to find either. And I say there is zero chance that commems will ever remotely approach the popularity of Lincolns.

• Options

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...quite a few of them did end up in circulation.

@Walkerfan said:

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my answer was going to be that I am not really interested in them because they didn’t circulate. I get that they represent history and thE opportunity to learn about history, but still don’t get excited about them....

But “riddle me this Batman” , why just before I typed this was I looking and getting interested in so called dollars? Don’t want to hijack the thread, but do so-called dollars get more attention than commem’s because the are exonumia and for a few niche players? Or do commem’s still get more attention By being more popular than so-called dollars but less than most other coins?

So I guess I would say that for me, for some unknown reason, I can see myself collecting so-called dollars, but never see myself collecting the silver commem’s.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    Possible reasons:

No, I do not think there are fewer than 10,000 SVDBs. What is your point exactly? SVDBs are not hard to find either. And I say there is zero chance that commems will ever remotely approach the popularity of Lincolns.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/fewer-vs-less

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file