Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What method to identify purchase information on slab do you use?

Dealers often affix a label to a coin slab or flip with a code that presumably identifies the purchase date and cost. What methods are commonly used to help identify any info about a coin without having to lookup in an inventory spreadsheet?

Comments

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 8:45PM

Date puchased is your inventory code, 2200805 is for today
    Say bought on Dec 12 1998 : would be 1981212
    If more than one coin bought then 2200805.1 or .2 etc
    Easy to use excel to sort order of purchase.

For puchased price use a 10 letter word with non repeating letters ie Washington or? Makeup your own
    Trans pose with a number for each letter.
    Or use any letters word you want or string a long list of numbers and bury cost in among them.

There are many other methods too

Mark your receipt with your inventory code/date file receipts in order to find quickly.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

@krueger said:
    Date puchased is your inventory code, 2200805 is for today
    Say bought on Dec 12 1998 : would be 1981212
    If more than one coin bought then 2200805.1 or .2 etc
    Easy to use excel to sort order of purchase.

For puchased price use a 10 letter word with non repeating letters ie Washington or? Makeup your own
    Trans pose with a number for each letter.
    Or use any letters word you want or string a long list of numbers and bury cost in among them.

There are many other methods too

Mark your receipt with your inventory code/date file receipts in order to find quickly.

Great code
    And would you apply a sticker with the purchase date & cost information to the slab?

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

I use the method described above and do affix a small, removable sticker to the back of the slab. Sometimes I’ll put a few extra, meaningless letters into the code to throw a clever sleuth off the scent of my code.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"