Home Q & A Forum
Options

Future interest in covid-related items?

I’ve seen a few bullion coins with Covid-based designs, and Tenino, WA has printed it’s own Covid relief scrip. It got me thinking about future collector demand for Covid-related items like these. Obviously there are many more such items but this is a coin/currency forum so we can approach it from this angle.

So: Do you think there will be future collector demand for Covid memorabilia?

*Please note that I’m NOT asking if I buy a Covid-themed coin will I make a profit? I have young kids and the know about “the sickness” and how it’s changed their routines. I tell them that they’ll read about this time when they’re adults and how it changed things, but I do wonder how the world will look back on this. The real question is whether this will be viewed as a watershed moment in the future, since such moments tend to create demand for memorabilia.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Short answer...NO

A rather touchy subject for your first post, glad to see you are not afraid to jump in with both feet. :)
    Fair chance your first thread will go poof. :o:D

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I will have absolutely no interest in any covid related collectable. It's nothing I want to commemorate or remember. My feeling is that many may have similar sentiments, but that's just a guess.

In the future, I think you'll be able to tell by the number of gov.mint, et al ads for "layered in 24 carat gold, limit 5 per customer" ads in print and on TV.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are saying that because you are living thru it. Wait 50 or 100 years. :p

Hard times tokens, CW tokens, Depression scrip, etc. are all very collectable now, as are tokens marking various periods that were a challenge to those who lived thru them.

I will wish I had kept more but I have kept just a few virus related items (not coin related).

I even mailed a few letters to overseas addresses knowing they would be returned to me with labels noting that service was suspended (due to the virus).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my Moonlight Mint Covid silver so I'm good to go. I think the virus structure would make a great high relief bronze medal. I do however like the rejected mail idea. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can imagine thousands of people at this time are asking /thinking the same question.
    My personal opinion is yes.

• Options

@JBK said:

>

Hard times tokens, CW tokens, Depression scrip, etc. are all very collectable now, as are tokens marking various periods that were a challenge to those who lived thru them.

>

This is exactly where my head was at, but I didn’t articulate it as well.

• Options

Another thought....hyperinflation banknotes (post WWI Germany, post WWII Hungary, 1990s Yugoslavia, 2000s Zimbabwe, current Venezuela, etc.) are great collectables now, but were part of terrible times for those who used them.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. None.

• Options

Daniel Carr has already gotten over 700 people interested in purchasing a $45 medal. B)