Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

High volume of complaints with PSA using UPS on return shipping

I called and actually got through to customer service yesterday. That is saying something with them receiving over 900 calls a day and only 20 people to answer the phones. I was calling to request that they do not use UPS on any of my return shipments. I was told that I was not alone that they have been getting numerous complaints about their recent switch to UPS. Had a disaster of an order shipped back to me Monday via UPS 3 day service. Thursday was the set day to deliver, no box. Finally popped back up on the radar late last night after last scan in Anaheim on 7/7. No set date for delivery. I had one other order come UPS and it was also delayed as well. I prefer USPS shipments, of course. They may be delayed to a third day on the rare occasion but they also deliver on Saturday. Fed Ex is fine and reliable, they deliver at various times but in my experience in all residential shipments have been far more reliable then UPS. My question was if I am paying for the return shipping why can I not exclude UPS from how my product is returned? The only way around it was to establish an account with either Fed Ex or USPS for return shipping and have them bill me directly. I am sure this a cost issue and UPS quoted the service lower than the other 2 competitors, but with turnaround times what they are, it seems very short sighted to go with a shipping provider that is causing more angst in your customer base.

/end rant

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I had a "mislabel" order returned and they required me to sign for it, which I was not informed of, so it did not get delivered. They sent it to a local Walgreens that has a UPS pickup spot but was not there until 4 days later. Ridiculous.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on where you live. I've lived on both coasts and experienced different levels of service from both UPS and USPS. Where I'm at now, UPS suuuuuuuuuucks. But in Los Angeles they were outstanding.

Arthur

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont mine either or. however, my UPS guy is very good and I really like the live tracking on the UPS app. you can see where the truck is in the neighborhood and also pre-release the package with a UPS app.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have set up an account with Fed Ex and will be using my account number for return shipping from PSA going forward.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

UPS is terrible right now. I much prefer USPS or Fed Ex.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I setup a FedEx account a decade ago for the sole purpose of PSA return orders and have never had a problem. It's a little bit costly at times but the piece of mind is well worth it.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why anyone would use UPS is beyond me. Fedex has their distribution channel so locked down that ground from east coast to west coast us is 3 days. 4 days max.

UPS is 3x that to ship AIR to go the same route. And most likely won't get there in 5. Recently had someone ship me a 2 day air ups package that took 5 days to arrive from Detroit to Charlotte. Product spoiled.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

my order will be shipped to a p.o. box, will this be an issue for ups?

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@olb31 said:
    my order will be shipped to a p.o. box, will this be an issue for ups?

Yes, UPS does not ship to PO Boxes, only USPS

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I preferred USPS because I could hook up with my mail man and get it in the morning but I will say UPS worked just fine because I am working from home. That said they do not require signature and with the values of collectibles increasing by the day that is a little scary. I stayed home all day for the first one and he said oh we are just leaving them on front porches. I was surprised and because I live in a gated condo community I am okay most likely but I said to him man that is scary because if you left this in a random neighborhood on the front porch that would be a little dicey. He agreed.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Because of corna19 many delivery services (medical, Legal, Food etc) do not get sign, but take a picture of delivery as proof and Email that photo to receiver. And probably someone follows ups trucks and steals from front porch. ups should call and ask where package can be left safely.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the camp of not being a fan of UPS. I would much more prefer that my package be sent back through USPS.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update on tracking: no update.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

If you choose USPS on your return shipping they still use UPS? If they do that is not right as I'm sure UPS is a lot cheaper but you're payng for USPS.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 9:00PM

@ElvisP said:
    If you choose USPS on your return shipping they still use UPS? If they do that is not right as I'm sure UPS is a lot cheaper but you're payng for USPS.

There is no option to request USPS return shipping unless you have a USPS Express Mail account number to specify the USPS Express Mail return shipping option (or a Fed Ex account number for that option). If you simply choose "Insured Shipping" and pay the PSA rate for return shipping without a USPS or a Fed Ex account number to bill the shipping to your USPS or Fed Ex account directly, PSA will ship back using the carrier of their choice.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I just saw my tracking for 3-day shipping from Newport Beach to Las Vegas. I didn't know that packages could take so long to travel between bordering states.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not the distance. It's who is handling the packages and how efficient they are that moves things along in a timely manner.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I just love it when UPS leaves my package out in the rain.
    On a number of occasions I have seen he carries drop my package. One time it was from the parked truck and out the back it came. Driver must have been throwing the boxes from the front of the truck and overshot.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@AANV said:
    I just saw my tracking for 3-day shipping from Newport Beach to Las Vegas. I didn't know that packages could take so long to travel between bordering states.

I stand corrected. The package was delivered the next day. I have absolutely no complaints about this UPS service.

The grading on the other hand...

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@AANV said:

@AANV said:

I stand corrected. The package was delivered the next day. I have absolutely no complaints about this UPS service.

let's see some of the cards that disappointed you, grading-wise...always interesting to see if we see what you are seeing

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fed ex sucks

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Kep13 said:

@AANV said:

@AANV said:

let's see some of the cards that disappointed you, grading-wise...always interesting to see if we see what you are seeing

Well, here are some of the "highlights" from my order. I'll preface this by mentioning that my profession is a sports card dealer and I have submitted thousands of cards to PSA over the last 15 years. I vetted this entire order with a 3x loupe headset that I use on every card and submitted based on 9/10 potential. My entire submission of 1972 O-Pee-Chee hockey cards came from the absolute best set I have ever seen (out of about 50 that I have sold over the years). Perhaps an eagle-eyed board member can objectively convince me that I didn't have a run-in with the Grader of Death.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got destroyed on some 1972 Topps Hockey cards a few years ago. I thought mine were all going to be 8's and none came back that high.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

I much prefer USPS to either FedEx or UPS. I have used them for thousands of sales and purchases and their problem rate has been minuscule for me (knocking on wood). Luckily, I live close to PSA and My return address is a PO Box, so hopefully I will continue to only receive packages from PSA with USPS Priority.

Steve
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

So smart. Thank you, Slum. Switching my address right now to the p.o. box simply to avoid these ups shipments.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I have set up an account with Fed Ex and will be using my account number for return shipping from PSA going forward.

This is what I used when my 52 Mantle was graded a few months ago. Other than using a very small box which made me nervous, the delivery went without issues from FedEx.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I just love it when UPS leaves my package out in the rain.
    On a number of occasions I have seen he carries drop my package. One time it was from the parked truck and out the back it came. Driver must have been throwing the boxes from the front of the truck and overshot.

my UPS guy who ive talked to on many occasions is a pretty nice guy. he always puts the box behind my screen door instead of out on the porch. he also doesn't throw my packages. my ring doorbell has captured the fedex guy however throwing them, sometimes from 15-20ft away. I have ZERO complaints of them using UPS. in fact, I love the vehicle tracking GPS in the app where It shows me where the delivery truck is so I can easily pin point when he's in my area and be ready.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@AANV said:

@Kep13 said:

@AANV said:

@AANV said:

Well, here are some of the "highlights" from my order. I'll preface this by mentioning that my profession is a sports card dealer and I have submitted thousands of cards to PSA over the last 15 years. I vetted this entire order with a 3x loupe headset that I use on every card and submitted based on 9/10 potential. My entire submission of 1972 O-Pee-Chee hockey cards came from the absolute best set I have ever seen (out of about 50 that I have sold over the years). Perhaps an eagle-eyed board member can objectively convince me that I didn't have a run-in with the Grader of Death.

I would say that centering got you in most of those cases...very hard to find cards from the 70's that have good centering l/r AND t/b....I think we have to assume that the rough edges of O-Pee-Chee is a known quality with all graders. Bird is very sharp on front, but are there a couple spots on the back? Like below the word "variety" and also a white spot within the half-circle indention on the right hand side of the back of the card? In any case, some very nice cards

• Options

@Kep13 said:

I would say that centering got you in most of those cases...very hard to find cards from the 70's that have good centering l/r AND t/b....I think we have to assume that the rough edges of O-Pee-Chee is a known quality with all graders. Bird is very sharp on front, but are there a couple spots on the back? Like below the word "variety" and also a white spot within the half-circle indention on the right hand side of the back of the card? In any case, some very nice cards

Hmmm... I'm unconvinced. Centering is well within spec on the front of all of them. I have seen 10s with 95/5 centering on the back for 1972 OPC. I can't see the argument against a 10 for Trottier RC let alone a 9. The Kurri and the Messier RCs are probably amongst the best out there.

Just seems to me like PSA has tightened up for whatever reason.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:

@Kep13 said:

Hmmm... I'm unconvinced. Centering is well within spec on the front of all of them. I have seen 10s with 95/5 centering on the back for 1972 OPC. I can't see the argument against a 10 for Trottier RC let alone a 9. The Kurri and the Messier RCs are probably amongst the best out there.

Agree with you that the centering is not what caused the grades. Maybe a newer grader not as familiar with OPC as should be. Some of the those 8's and pretty sharp and would look right at home in a PSA 9 holder. Nice group of cards.

• Options

If you’ve recently made some Apple buys and are enthusiastically anticipating their appearance, the status that appeared on the Apple Store application or Apple's site may be somewhat confounding or in any event, disturbing at times. Outstandingly, if UPS or FedEx is experiencing difficulty with your conveyance, Apple is likewise conveying address affirmation messages. For homegrown shipments, PSA utilizes different transporters and decides the best assistance dependent on different components. These transporters presently include:

1. USPS
    2. FedEx
    3. UPS
    4. Shielded transporters, for example, Brinks, Dunbar, Ferrari, Malca Amit, and so on.

If you might want to ensure that your request ships by means of a specific transporter if it's not too much trouble, make a delivery account with that transporter (FedEx or USPS Express Mail) and give PSA the record number and transportation data for that account.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

@AANV said:

@Kep13 said:

I think the issue with the 72's is between the uneven lamb chops and the parting of the feathered hair on one side or the other, it gives the optical illusion that the card is off-center when it really isn't.