Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A New Addition To the Flock From Germany

I have been looking for quite a while for a nice Henneberg Thaler for my bird coin collection. These German States pieces featured a hen as part of their iconography, placing this type at the top of my wantlist for a circulating issue (rather than a medal, which are easier to locate) with a chicken. The last few years of NYINC and ANA shows had not turned up any pieces, and these do not seem to come up for bid often in the US, so I had started scouring auctions in Europe to try to find the right coin.

Kunker Auctions was able to help me out. They recently offered a large collection of Henneberg pieces put together by a collector who enjoyed mining Thalers and other mining coinage. This piece has now "flown the coop" from its native Germany to join my set here in the US.

Have you been able to purchase anything lately that you are really excited about? If so, share photos!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do wonder what the significance of of the avian specimen was to the principality?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I had wondered this too, @SaorAlba . However, I could not find anything in my reading that answered this question...just that the name Henneberg refers to the hen (henne) on a hill/mountain (berg) shown on both Zohar's and my coins above.

Great piece, @Zohar !

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about all the iconography, but that the chicken is crowned is immediately obvious. Why is she crowned?

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone thought the prince was a chicken?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Outstanding piece @Stella ! That is a scarce issue and I really like the overall look of the surfaces. I think you did well waiting the right piece to appear. That collection offered by Kunker had some outstanding offerings.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @worldcoinguy . Yes, it was nice to have several to choose from for once.