Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Help Grading My 1859 Florin?

Hi all!

I recently picked up an 1859 Florin for what I believe was a decent price. I have been deliberating over sending it in to be graded - factoring in the cost to grade the coin and with spending around $30 on it, would it be advised to get it graded, and if so what would you guys think it would get? I'm something of a novice when it comes to determining grades myself, so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome...

Submitting this for grading would not be advisable. Here's why:

The last image reveals two scratches that are severe enough to prevent a straight grade

The details grade is likely in the VF30 -35 range (by US standards) Spending $30 for grading will not produce the best economic outcome.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MJ1927MJ1927 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

Appreciate the response, in the flip it shall remain!

@coinkat said:
    Welcome...

The last image reveals two scratches that are severe enough to prevent a straight grade

The details grade is likely in the VF30 -35 range (by US standards) Spending $30 for grading will not produce the best economic outcome.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree, and this is somewhat "my series". Do not slab, the scratch puts it in details grade @ VF25.
    Love the design - hang in there for a better specimen.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MJ1927MJ1927 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

Will do, thanks for the input!

@7Jaguars said:
    Yes, I agree, and this is somewhat "my series". Do not slab, the scratch puts it in details grade @ VF25.
    Love the design - hang in there for a better specimen.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

@coinkat said:
    Welcome...

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Too bad.