Home Sports Talk
Options

Mahomes Agrees to Richest Contract in NFL History

Comments

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Jared Goof making $34M a year, this is a bargain!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

is he really making that much?

gotta have serious foresight to be a successful GM

• Options
    edited July 6, 2020 3:05PM

@galaxy27 said:

@hammer1 said:

is he really making that much?

gotta have serious foresight to be a successful GM

In July 2018, Los Angeles signed Todd Gurley to a four-year, $60 million contract extension with $45 million in guarantees. The deal made him the highest-paid running back in the NFL at the time.

Another fail he was cut this year. Reason: the same knee that was operated on in college gave out. Gee his old contract wasn't up for another year and a half. A good GM would be prudent to wait and see how the knee is holding up. Not this idiot.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well if an athlete is going to get that money I guess I’m ok with it being Mahomes, he seems like a pretty good guy.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there, yes, I don't have a problem with Patrick Mahomes getting paid that much either. I just don't like Mike Trout.

Yes, Mike Trout blows. Thanks.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's $40 mil/year among friends?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never have an issue with athletes getting paid. why do people get so bent out of shape about it?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Hi there, yes, I don't have a problem with Patrick Mahomes getting paid that much either. I just don't like Mike Trout.

Yes, Mike Trout blows. Thanks.

😊

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I never have an issue with athletes getting paid. why do people get so bent out of shape about it?

I'm with you on this one. Generally speaking the best players get the most money.

Of course timing plays a big factor when guys like Kirk Cousins (good, maybe very good, not elite) get huge contracts.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

in KC we must have been talking to much about the Royals upcoming short season so the Chiefs had to sign Mahomes to the richest contract to make sure that football was back in the news until their season started. ;)

• Options

Few more sheckles than first reported:

the reigning Super Bowl MVP has a chance to earn up to $503 million, as ESPN reported, with a floor of about $477 million through the 2031 season.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what percent his agent gets.

• Options

Too much. He's not getting helmets to the face, and getting his knees, and ribs racked up.

On that big of a contract I would say his research, negotiations and experience should be worth no more than $2M.

I know he got a lot more.

Like horse jockey agents get 20% - 25% of the jock's winnings.. They're not eating dirt sandwiches, breaking collarbones, necks, backs, and risking their lives.

• Options

Think of how badly this contract hamstrings KC. How long before they are irrelevant?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Think of how badly this contract hamstrings KC. How long before they are irrelevant?

Exactly, his salary alone will equal nearly 25% of the 2020 cap, with the cap quite possibly dropping next year it could be over 30%. When it's time for others to get paid, they're not going to have a lot of wiggle room.

• Options

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL for sure. I can't see 10+ year contracts in any league though its mental

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    He deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL for sure. I can't see 10+ year contracts in any league though its mental

Agreed but only because of the stupid money as the years go on, other than that I don’t see anything to not support locking up a 23 year old with his talent. Meaning I doubt he will fall off much as he gets older. He has two AFC Championship games under his belt and a Super Bowl ring, at 23?!! It’s insane how good he is.

• Options

I just feel like he will get injured . Plus with the cap doesn't this make signing other players harder ?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    I just feel like he will get injured . Plus with the cap doesn't this make signing other players harder ?

of course he will get injured. look at last season and his knee injury. I did hear reports that once a patella has been displaced, it is significantly more likely to do so again.

your second point is the most important one though. Mahomes will be significantly less effective once KC can no longer resign Hill, Kelce etc. He will end up just like Brady last year in NE. noone to throw to. that previously injured knee will also be put at much more risk when KC cannot sign/resign quality O lineman. once current players contracts have expired, the Chiefs will turn into a one and done playoff team with this contract.

I really cannot see how this is a plus for KC

• Options

i view this stuff as pure PR . I don't get how it means anything, give me more money this year and guarantee it nevermind the phony 10 years out numbers . We all know this aint baseball and they won't be paying him 10 years from now.

• Options

It has to be a PR move. It certainly is not a wise football move. How can you build a solid team when 1 player is accounting for 1/4 of the cap?

There are reasons NE dominated football for the last 20 years. One of them is their franchise QB consistently signed team friendly contracts. That is not what happened here.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    It has to be a PR move. It certainly is not a wise football move. How can you build a solid team when 1 player is accounting for 1/4 of the cap?

There are reasons NE dominated football for the last 20 years. One of them is their franchise QB consistently signed team friendly contracts. That is not what happened here.

Well Pat learned that being team friendly gets you shat on at the end :D

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't the cap go up every year?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph