Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1960/61 Topps Set, break?

Hello,
I am trying to sell a 1960 and 1961 topps set. I have the full set, none of the cards are graded. Most of the cards are in excellent+ shape. Some are miscut.

I know I will get the most value if I can get them graded and get 7-8s. But not sure I have the time and desire to grade all the cards or list them individually for resale. Are there other thoughts on this set? Best option for breaking them up?

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

Post a few scans of the $ cards. Scans are better than cel phone pictures.

Selling entire raw sets can be a challenge. A lot of buyers are looking to make money breaking it up and won't offer you what the set is worth. You can try the Buy, Sell Trade Forum here or ebay. there are other places too.

Breaking up the set will generally get you the most money. You might want to have the top cards graded, even if they are not in the best condition so they are authenticated as not being altered.

Many collectors will shy away from a Mickey Mantle card ( or other HOFers) that's raw, figuring a smart seller will grade it.

If you sell off the best cards you will end up with some commons and your miscuts.

There's plenty of guys here willing to share their knowledge and opinions.

Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Thanks Joe, I appreciate it. I don't have a scanner, but might have to invest.

Will send some photos when I get to it this weekend.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2020 5:51AM

I highly recommend the Epson Perfection V600. My old scanner seemed to be fine, but images of baseball cards looked "fuzzy".

I couldn't be happier with the results I get from the Epson.

P.S. What's your name?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have an Epson Perfection V600...below is an example of just how good it is right out of the box.

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I have an Epson V600 also. It's the best for cards by a big margin. Also some tips for you. FIRST scan both sides of the card, I need to see centering on both sides. Lay them flat on the scanner, there was a definite curve to yours. Don't mean to be rude, but good scans mean a lot to everyone than you know. Finally trim the cards down to the borders. I don't like seeing everything else.