Home Sports Talk
Options

I have enough money- I'm not playing this year

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB veterans David Price and Felix Hernandez decided to opt-out of the 2020 season due to concerns from the coronavirus.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mlb-vets-david-price-felix-hernandez-opt-out-of-2020-season-over-coronavirus-fears

Bad deal for Dodgers in giving up assets for Price and Mookie Betts who might play 1/2 season and then hits free agency.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of me don’t blame them honestly but either way it’s what you get when you make these guys ridiculously stupid rich, they can do as they please

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football and basketball are tougher because of a lot of player contact.

However wussing out on playing baseball? Silly and inexcusable. When handling the ball, afterwards just don't touch virus "entry areas" on your face and it is virtually impossible to contract this virus. These players should know and understand this by now.

Again, football and basketball are tougher, but if a player can discipline himself to do what was just stated, there's virtually no danger here.

Besides even if they do contract the virus, in almost every case, this virus is not ending the lives of healthy people in the player's age ranges, around 20 thru 40.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, Felix wasn't going to be playing this year anyway.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 4:15AM

When handling the ball, afterwards just don't touch virus "entry areas" on your face and it is virtually impossible to contract this virus. These players should know and understand this by now. Again, football and basketball are tougher, but if a player can discipline himself to do what was just stated, there's virtually no danger here. Besides even if they do contract the virus, in almost every case, this virus is not ending the lives of healthy people in the player's age ranges, around 20 thru 40.

yes, let's listen to Dr. stevek. un-freakin-believable.

• Options

@keets said:
    When handling the ball, afterwards just don't touch virus "entry areas" on your face and it is virtually impossible to contract this virus. These players should know and understand this by now. Again, football and basketball are tougher, but if a player can discipline himself to do what was just stated, there's virtually no danger here. Besides even if they do contract the virus, in almost every case, this virus is not ending the lives of healthy people in the player's age ranges, around 20 thru 40.

yes, let's listen to Dr. stevek. un-freakin-believable.

I've done extensive reading on this corona virus. Most if not all doctors who understand this virus, will concur with what i posted. But go ahead, wallow in ignorance if that's what you prefer to do.

BTW, in over 20 years, i've had one minor flu and zero colds. So i must be doing something right as far as cold and flu prevention wouldn't you agree?

• Options

maybe they can do all that without breathing on each other. good luck.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 8:02PM

Both of these guys will come back old men. Their careers are BEHIND them.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

just the fact that its David Price :D Mr squeaky wheel

He can play fortnite I guess

• Options

@keets said:

The fact is that it is not impossible, but very, very difficult to contract this disease by air for a multitude of reasons. Basically someone infected would have to sneeze right in your face sort of thing.

I've played a lot of baseball and football, and don't recall a single time whereby i felt a sensation of anyone breathing on me. Even then, it's doubtful that would be enough to spread this disease.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@keets said:

The fact is that it is not impossible, but very, very difficult to contract this disease by air for a multitude of reasons. Basically someone infected would have to sneeze right in your face sort of thing.

I've played a lot of baseball and football, and don't recall a single time whereby i felt a sensation of anyone breathing on me. Even then, it's doubtful that would be enough to spread this disease.

What percentage of these guys are going to get very ill or die? Is it any higher than one of the flu viruses that have gone around? If it is, how much?

I am assuming the athletes are in the lowest risk category there is, young, in shape and very few have underlying health issues. The few that do have health issues could be excused?

Out of curiosity, I looked and the CDC says 80,000 died last year of the flu (worst year in history) in the U.S. and so far 128,000 from covid.

Covid is worse for sure, but 80,000 is no big deal and 128,000 is a crisis? A friend of mine who's wife is a nurse believes some flu deaths could be reported as covid, because the hospitals get cash for covid cases.

Another question I have is; I thought we were "flattening the curve" so the health care system could cope with this problem. When you flatten the curve, you lengthen the amount of time before the problem abates.

You can keep the fans home (nobody cares about or needs us anyway) and go ahead and play the games.

"Play ball"

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@keets said:

What percentage of these guys are going to get very ill or die? Is it any higher than one of the flu viruses that have gone around? If it is, how much?

I am assuming the athletes are in the lowest risk category there is, young, in shape and very few have underlying health issues. The few that do have health issues could be excused?

Out of curiosity, I looked and the CDC says 80,000 died last year of the flu (worst year in history) in the U.S. and so far 128,000 from covid.

Covid is worse for sure, but 80,000 is no big deal and 128,000 is a crisis? A friend of mine who's wife is a nurse believes some flu deaths could be reported as covid, because the hospitals get cash for covid cases.

Another question I have is; I thought we were "flattening the curve" so the health care system could cope with this problem. When you flatten the curve, you lengthen the amount of time before the problem abates.

You can keep the fans home (nobody cares about or needs us anyway) and go ahead and play the games.

"Play ball"

It's just a guess as to when if ever an effective vaccine will be found for this virus. Hopefully soon.

But in any event, i've read where some doctors are recommending that young healthy people act normal and possibly get exposed to it. Then their immune systems will have the antibodies needed for a future mutated strain to help protect them when they're older, and thus can better successfully fight it off.

I completely agree - let's play ball.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@keets said:

"Play ball"

It's just a guess as to when if ever an effective vaccine will be found for this virus. Hopefully soon.

We certainly need a vaccine, but by the time a vaccine is found, tested and approved the virus will be gone. A friend of mine who is a nurse used to encourage me to get a flu shot, but then admitted it only worked on last years flu.

But in any event, i've read where some doctors are recommending that young healthy people act normal and possibly get exposed to it. Then their immune systems will have the antibodies needed for a future mutated strain to help protect them when they're older, and thus can better successfully fight it off.

Herd immunity anyone?

I completely agree - let's play ball.

Yes!

I am not saying to ignore the virus and go back to the way things were, but what happens if we keep flattening the curve and another virus comes along?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Live your life the way you want just wash your freaking hands and don’t get physical with someone who is sick. I think we touch our face a few hundred times a day without realizing it, washing your hands and being more aware of touching your eyes and mouth is pretty sound advice in my opinion

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know we need to use some common sense safety measures. However, it's time to go to work, get back to school, resume our lives. The cure is getting to be worse than the disease.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Live your life the way you want just wash your freaking hands and don’t get physical with someone who is sick.

since I'm compromised I would hope everyone wears a mask to help prevent the way this virus is spread. I can tell you that I wear a mask for your safety, please reciprocate.

• Options

@keets said:
    Live your life the way you want just wash your freaking hands and don’t get physical with someone who is sick.

since I'm compromised I would hope everyone wears a mask to help prevent the way this virus is spread. I can tell you that I wear a mask for your safety, please reciprocate.

Absolutely. I understand that some people are compromised and we should all respect that

• Options

as to the point made by stevek and JoeBonzai, certainly it helps to wipe surfaces down but by and large that is wasted effort made necessary because so many Citizens refuse to wear a mask. think about, where does all the virus come from that makes disinfecting surfaces necessary?? the answer is from your breath.

it has puzzled me how so many people see it as such an intrusion and so restricting to wear a mask. believe me, I consider it a major inconvenience. yesterday I took me Sister to the Doctor, spent well over two hours in the waiting room a mask and was grateful to be outside so I could remove it. weighed against the freedom(s) we take for granted in America it is a small act I perform willingly.

I am also in the boat with everyone who is anxious to see a return to normalcy, but I doubt anything will be as it was ever again, lest we forget that "If you fail to learn from History you are bound to repeat it" and it'll be in my lifetime. my thoughts on everything is that the Politicians in charge got the cart-before-the-horse: they concerned themselves with the Economy and expected that to take care of the Health issue. conversely, if we all work together to take care of the Health issue the Economy will be just fine. all you need to do is look around the Country to see what is happening now and understand that it should have happened in March, but I digress, hindsight is always 20/20.

• Options

I wonder if the NFL will sanitize the football after every play?

Will MLB sanitize the baseball after every play? Maybe even during the play, for example the shortstop fields a ground ball with no one on base, then gives the ball a quick sanitizing spray before throwing it to the first baseman to try to get the out.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2020 10:21AM

@keets said:
    as to the point made by stevek and JoeBonzai, certainly it helps to wipe surfaces down but by and large that is wasted effort made necessary because so many Citizens refuse to wear a mask. think about, where does all the virus come from that makes disinfecting surfaces necessary?? the answer is from your breath.

it has puzzled me how so many people see it as such an intrusion and so restricting to wear a mask. believe me, I consider it a major inconvenience. yesterday I took me Sister to the Doctor, spent well over two hours in the waiting room a mask and was grateful to be outside so I could remove it. weighed against the freedom(s) we take for granted in America it is a small act I perform willingly.

I am also in the boat with everyone who is anxious to see a return to normalcy, but I doubt anything will be as it was ever again, lest we forget that "If you fail to learn from History you are bound to repeat it" and it'll be in my lifetime. my thoughts on everything is that the Politicians in charge got the cart-before-the-horse: they concerned themselves with the Economy and expected that to take care of the Health issue. conversely, if we all work together to take care of the Health issue the Economy will be just fine. all you need to do is look around the Country to see what is happening now and understand that it should have happened in March, but I digress, hindsight is always 20/20.

I also have a compromised immune system.

it would've been safer for you not to go in the waiting room, and waited in the car.That's what I do for my wife.

Plus If I go to a dr app't, for myself, I check in and give them my cell# and wait in the car until they call me.

No waiting rooms filled with sick people for me.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I wonder if the NFL will sanitize the football after every play?

Will MLB sanitize the baseball after every play? Maybe even during the play, for example the shortstop fields a ground ball with no one on base, then gives the ball a quick sanitizing spray before throwing it to the first baseman to try to get the out.

Not a bad idea.

To even the playing field for the shortstop taking the time to spray, the hitter has to do a 360 degree pirouette before running to first.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2020 10:33AM

I completely agree that those with compromised immune systems need to be extra careful, as well as the elderly. But in my view, that should have been the case even before this pandemic, as regular flu and even a bad cold can be deadly to certain people.

I previously stated my "record" in not catching colds and flu. It's no accident that happened. Even though i am perfectly healthy, and take no medicine or drugs of any sort, for example when food shopping, regardless of the time of year, i almost always go late at night when it's less crowded.

Yes, i do all those precautions already mentioned. But in my view if i can reduce the risk even further, than why not do it?

That is very wise what was mentioned about the doctors visits, etc. Do everything we can to get to the point of reducing our chances of catching this stinking virus or any other disease to as close to zero as possible, without becoming societal hermits.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2020 11:33AM

@stevek said:

I played o-line and 100% felt breathing on me and sweat/spittle/etc coming through the helmet face guard like every play. Long before those plastic guards they have now, but I'd still think the linemen would feel it with those too.

To add: especially if there's folks piled up on each other and the inside of one of those face shield is all wet...those guards/helmets aren't air tight, stuff could spill somehow I'd think.

• Options

@DrBuster said:

@stevek said:

I played o-line and 100% felt breathing on me and sweat/spittle/etc coming through the helmet face guard. Long before those plastic guards they have now, but I'd still think the linemen would feel it with those too.

My plumber's claim to fame according to him was being on the O-line, and had the flu, so he puked on some D-lineman.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@DrBuster said:

@stevek said:

I played o-line and 100% felt breathing on me and sweat/spittle/etc coming through the helmet face guard. Long before those plastic guards they have now, but I'd still think the linemen would feel it with those too.

My plumber's claim to fame according to him was being on the O-line, and had the flu, so he puked on some D-lineman.

I won't discuss one of our players playing sick and having explosive diarreah on the field....well, I guess I just did.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭

I was glad to see Betts and Price leave the Red Sox in that deal. I turned sour on Betts when he turned down a $300 million deal and I never like the cry-baby Price. It turned out to be an even better deal when Price decided not to play and the Dodgers only got 0 days of Betts for a ton of money. OUCH!

• Options
    edited July 8, 2020 11:55AM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I was glad to see Betts and Price leave the Red Sox in that deal. I turned sour on Betts when he turned down a $300 million deal and I never like the cry-baby Price. It turned out to be an even better deal when Price decided not to play and the Dodgers only got 0 days of Betts for a ton of money. OUCH!

Plus Red Sox got 3 very good prospects.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2020 12:51PM

I played RB in high school and had snarling defenders face mask to face mask with me under a pile getting spit on my face from them screaming at me calling me names lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I played RB in high school and had snarling defenders face mask to face mask with me under a pile getting spit on my face from them screaming at me calling me names lol

No different than your day job. :)

• Options

it would've been safer for you not to go in the waiting room, and waited in the car.That's what I do for my wife.

my Sister is autistic.

• Options

@hammer1 said:

@perkdog said:

No different than your day job. :)

Hahaha definitely was true, I retired 4/18 👍👍

• Options

@DrBuster said:

@stevek said:

I played o-line and 100% felt breathing on me and sweat/spittle/etc coming through the helmet face guard like every play. Long before those plastic guards they have now, but I'd still think the linemen would feel it with those too.

To add: especially if there's folks piled up on each other and the inside of one of those face shield is all wet...those guards/helmets aren't air tight, stuff could spill somehow I'd think.

I played on special teams and fully understand being on the bottom of those piles. Yes, I'd sometimes be in a position underneath the pile of having to see someone's ugly mug relatively close up for a few moments, but i never considered it to be "breathing on me." With a helmet on, there's going to be space enough, in my opinion, not to be any transfer of germs, especially outdoors.

Hey, if i'm mistaken then i guess we'll just have to consider discontinuing the game of football. Soccer could completely take its place, but i would think that most of those football players would have trouble competing. 😉