Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1992 Fleer Update...thoughts?

I’ve been reading up on these sets and apparently Fleer only produced as many as were pre ordered by hobby dealers, which was very few due to low demand in previous years...it is rumored Fleer made less of these than the 1984 update set...anyone have any information on these? They are certainly way more available on eBay than the 84 set, but the pop numbers are way less...is this due to the only key card being the Mike Piazza RC? Thoughts?

Comments

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an incredibly easy set to reseal, which is why it seems like there are so many available. I wouldn't purchase a sealed set under just about any conditions.

I know it seems like a lot stuff from this era is just now getting attention but the truth is there's been a small subgroup of the hobby that's been collecting these cards (and paying decent prices for them) for many years. The junk wax era is like a minefield of resealed product because 1. it's so damn easy, 2. no one believed anyone would go to the trouble to reseal the stuff.

But stuff like this or Tiffany sets have been picked over so much by now I think the only way I'd purchase a set is FASC and from a reputable seller (and that list can probably fit one finger).

Arthur

• pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Ty for the info...I paid around $60 each for the above sets...makes me want to open them up and see what’s in there

• dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they look just fine, have the tell tale sign of any I see as unopened. Same patterns. Have been thinking about one myself

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff Kent is a $150-200 card in PSA 10.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

There is a 4 card “headliners” subset in these as well with a super condition sensitive black bordered Griffey as card #1

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

mike piazza card is also selling for 200-250 in a ten. also the Kenny lofton rookie is getting attention now in psa 10.

It seems to be a great value currently @ 50-100 per set...the Sosa and canseco cards are tough in a 10 as well

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

ReggieCleveland,

If this set is so easy to reseal, that would also include sets like:

1989-1991 Upper Deck factory and update sets?
    The late 80s and early 90s Fleer Update sets?
    1980's Topps Tiffany sets?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    ReggieCleveland,

If this set is so easy to reseal, that would also include sets like:

1989-1991 Upper Deck factory and update sets?
    The late 80s and early 90s Fleer Update sets?
    1980's Topps Tiffany sets?

I would suspect that there are some resealed 1989 Upper Deck factory sets out there. It's not an item I have paid close attention to though so I can't speak intelligently on it. I doubt the '90 & '91 sets are resealed simply because it's not worth it. You can and have been able to buy one for $10 for probably more than 20 years now.

Same thing with the earlier Fleer Update sets. Why would anyone reseal a set that you can buy for $2-$4? They've been that price for decades now.

The 1992 Fleer Update set, on the other hand, has been high-demand since basically Mike Piazza debuted in MLB. Even before I remember grading being a big deal the Piazza was an $80 card. Those sets have always been in-demand. Once grading came along and introduced man-made rarity on top of the existing rarity, you have motive. That's just common cellophane with three seal points. Anyone with 20 minutes of experience with a shrink wrapper under their belt can replicate those.

I've written extensively on this site and others about how the vast majority of eBay Tiffany sets are resealed. I've written about how people do it (from the sticker to the bottom of the box) and have provided countless images of things to look out for. Do a search for one of my threads either here or on Blowout.

Arthur

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just opened two I subbed both Piazzas (they were nice) both Kent’s o/c top to bottom so no go subbed 1 Griffey headliner and 1 Sosa. I love all of the Fleer Update sets 92 are as rare in my opinion as 84 but not the demand historically that 84 had

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Loved the 92 Fleer Rookie Sensations in the Jumbo packs! Highly underrated in my opinion, Frank Thomas PSA 9 going for in the $300 neighborhood now...haven't seen a 10 in a while and this market would explode on that

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pjb103183 said:

@rexvos said:
    I just opened two I subbed both Piazzas (they were nice) both Kent’s o/c top to bottom so no go subbed 1 Griffey headliner and 1 Sosa. I love all of the Fleer Update sets 92 are as rare in my opinion as 84 but not the demand historically that 84 had

I bought 4 sets total and am strongly considering opening at least one...I’m also eagerly awaiting the arrival of this gem:

I am praying the usps delivers it in a safe and timely fashion 😂

All black border 10. Love it!

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat Mahomes RC. I hear he's pretty popular these days!

• johfrjohfr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember how many of these sets came in a complete case?

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭

200 game winner Tim Wakefield RC in the set as well.

• junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

As someone who has broken a handful of them over the years, be ready to find very poor centering. Pick just about any player on comc and the majority in stock will show you how bad they typically are.

This stuff was untouchable for a few years (1993-1995 or so). I remember when the Tim Salmon card was $30, the Lofton $40+ and dozens of other mid 90s prospects hitting $5-10 each, some 2nd or 3rd year cards even. Other than Piazza occasionally, you just didn't see many singles available at most shops or shows.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lofton and Coleman are interesting subjects. Different kind of players with fantastic skill and speed. Often overlooked like Beltre.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Good to know that they are easy to reseal…but it sucks because I’d been thinking of finally buying a set. Is there any way to tell a legit seal from a fake (such as placement of the seal on the box)?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Set seems too expensive now for only one card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set