Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 OPC Wayne Gretzky PSA 10 is on Ebay right now

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched this video a few months back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66yNvHeePq4&t=618s

Looks like he is trying to cash in.

Does anyone else put on gloves to look at their graded cards?

@MLBdays said:
    @Dpeck100 ...watch out ...he is in tight with the mob..... :wink: Great interviews for sure.

Obviously this dude is doing something right because he put him self in a position to make hundreds of thousands off a card buy. I have to applaud that.

So far there have been three offers come in on the card on EBAY and all declined.

Almost 5k page views and 186 watchers.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I'd buy it, but purely out of principle, I refuse to pay $3 shipping, much less $999, on a million dollar card.

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I agree with that. For $1,000,000 he should fly the buyer to Texas and then to Newport Beach and home again.

PackManInNC
  • cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

Looks like he has the topps psa 10 up for sale as well. The funny thing is, I do Gretzky psa searches on ebay several times a day and I somehow missed both of these. Maybe I have a blind spot for the rookie since I am not in the market for one, but I would have thought one or both of those would have gotten my attention just based on the pricing.

Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Not at a million bucks, no way...plus there is another one graded. I only thought there was one 10 graded. Anyway, I'd offer $550K (if I had the moula) and run it up the flag pole.... he's gonna sit on that baby a long time for a mil...he's nuts...

chaz

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

The sales tax would be ridiculous on that purchase. In Texas it would be $62,500.... over $100,000 where I live. Makes a 9 for $40,000 seem like a bargain............

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Here is a scan of the other 10, that I would prefer over the one for sale.

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Yeah, the one that is active now has terrible centering for a PSA 10 it seems. Doesn’t look like a 10

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LGC said:

Wow, the centering on that puppy is a lot better than the other one. The guy that owns that is supposed to be a hardcore Gretzky fan who said he will never sell it, ever. I don't blame him.

• Bobby24Bobby24 Posts: 51 ✭✭

The one on Ebay now is a 9...at best. The other 10 is a blazer though.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2020 4:41PM

Gem Mint 10 only needs 60-40 centering. The difference between a 9 and 10 by definition are the corners and no staining. 60-40 with 4 sharp corners is a 10. I would argue that PSA does not follow this definition on modern cards (Newer than the Gretzky) and regularly grades 10s as 9s to create rarity. 10 is not a perfect card by their centering criteria. Amazingly a 9 can have a wax stain on the back.

I do agree that the 2nd one is much nicer than the first.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason the 9.5 grade should have come in when they went to the "half grades".

Newer cards seem to need to be flawless to get a 10. Sometimes you might see one slightly off center.

Recently saw a PSA 10 1987 Fleer McGwire that was 60/40 L-R, fugly.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating that one of the most expensive hockey cards is sitting on eBay in a BIN listing. I suppose it is no different than if it were sitting in the PWCC vault, but somehow I'm conditioned to think this belongs on another platform for selling. Perhaps Heritage, or REA. I'm not going to take snipes at its condition, but I will say that $1 million is a stretch for a hockey card whose previous high water mark is $465k, even if it is Gretzky. Perhaps in a few completed sales it will reach that mark, depending on who jumps into the market.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@LGC said:

Wow, the centering on that puppy is a lot better than the other one. The guy that owns that is supposed to be a hardcore Gretzky fan who said he will never sell it, ever. I don't blame him.

Not only the centering on the card itself, but also look how much better the centering is on the oil drip in the Oilers logo on front on this one pictured in this post. That drip centering aspect is one I always look for in a Gretzky RC.

@blurryface said:
    i hope he gets anywhere near that. just wish the red oil drip was better centered in the logo, but other then that, i'll keep mine and pocket the $985k difference. i got free shipping to, btw.

You have more self control than I do - if I had $1MM card budget I would be going on a buying spree of cards with the other $985K and not pocketing it!

I totally agree with you would rather have the 9 and the cash. Nice Gretzky!

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

@LGC said:

Not only the centering on the card itself, but also look how much better the centering is on the oil drip in the Oilers logo on front on this one pictured in this post. That drip centering aspect is one I always look for in a Gretzky RC.

Check out the oil drop on his jersey on this copy. The double image on his face makes it look like he is wearing rimless eyeglasses.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-O-Pee-Chee-Hockey-Wayne-Gretzky-ROOKIE-RC-18-PSA-8-5-NM-MT-PWCC/353142021791

Looks like the cert # is old enough that this card had to be sent for a review and bumped from an 8 to an 8.5. My mind is as scrambled as that double image thinking about how that copy could be reassigned a higher grade after it sneaked into an 8 holder.

Agree that registration is awful. Think it deserves a PD designation and cannot believe it received the .5 bump.

• russkcparusskcpa Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 7:09AM

I would rather have this PSA 9
    How can this not be a 10? Wish PSA had a 9.5 grade

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Another reason the 9.5 grade should have come in when they went to the "half grades".

Newer cards seem to need to be flawless to get a 10. Sometimes you might see one slightly off center.

Recently saw a PSA 10 1987 Fleer McGwire that was 60/40 L-R, fugly.

Agree 100% that PSA should have a 9.5 grade. There are some cards that are better than a 9, but not quite a 10. The price differential is too great on some cards between the 9 and 10 -- I'm talking 6 figure differentials. You mean to tell me there's nothing in between???

@russkcpa said:
    I would rather have this PSA 9
    How can this not be a 10? Wish PSA had a 9.5 grade

WOW!!! This card is gorgeous!!! -- 9.5 would be perfect (assuming the back is fine).

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 7:48AM

Back looks pretty nice too -- what is that little oval-shaped area directly above the "E" in GRETZKY?

Also, above the 1978-79 stat line, is that on the sleeve or case? it runs horizontally from the years to the GP (actually, I think it might be a reflection from the top of your phone???)

@russkcpa said:

There is a slight PD (black in colour) on the upper skate blade over the “ET” in GRETZKY.

Good questions. Not sure if that PD on back is on card or case. Too bad if it is on card

you’d get a better deal buying a Gretzky 9 without any rough cut from BVG or KSA.

@russkcpa said:
    Good questions. Not sure if that PD on back is on card or case. Too bad if it is on card

I confirmed that is a stain or print defect on reverse. I guess it will never be a 10

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread makes me sad. The 9 posted above has a pretty serious issue on the back and the cut to me is an issue. And the ten that started this thread is, for a ten of a hobby staple card, OC. I get buy the card and all that but naively I guess I’d like to see some consistency in high grade big time cards.

The ten that LGC posted is amazing however.

@russkcpa said:

@russkcpa said:

I confirmed that is a stain or print defect on reverse. I guess it will never be a 10

@russkcpa
    There are other minor issues with this PSA 9 copy:

The Oilers in the header is slightly dropped from the Edmonton. The slight mis-alignment also manifests itself in a slight yellow halo around the Oilers itself and a very slight bleed of orange into the white trim on his shoulders.

Finally, the upper right corner has a slight white exposure on the horizontal plane, that doesn’t drop the copy below a 9, but may prevent a review upward.

Compare this 9 to the 10, that was not for sale, on these issues and you can better appreciate the 10, IMO.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PSA 10 ending in 355 is nicer than the BVG 9.5 IMO. Hard to tell in the video, but I don't think it is from the first print run. I would like to see if the reverse on the 355 copy to see which print run it is.

• It looks like the auction ended with either a "Best Offer" that was accepted, or the seller just ended it. Does anyone know if the card sold and for how much? I'm guessing that it would have made some headlines if it did in fact change hands.

@EDIGuy said:
    It looks like the auction ended with either a "Best Offer" that was accepted, or the seller just ended it. Does anyone know if the card sold and for how much? I'm guessing that it would have made some headlines if it did in fact change hands.

I don’t know if it did and for how much, but considering the 1968 Ryan PSA 10, 1/1 went for $600K, I don’t think this Gretzky copy would or should beat that, IMO.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were to have to choose for my personal collection, it would be Gretzky all the way!

If not the GOAT, definitely in the top 3, I would not say that about Ryan. Also Ryan shares his rookie card and (for me) that hurts its desirability.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set