Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For larger medals, has PCGS changed holders, permanently??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2, 2020 8:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a few medals encapsulated in the first pictured style holder and wondered if PCGS has discontinued usage of this style?? The reason I ask is because I find the size out of sync and the opaque nature of the shell bothersome. There is a thin sheet of plastic between the shell halves which wrinkles and doesn't allow light through cleanly. The current style, pictured next, is much like a standard PCGS capsule in design, just bigger. It is what larger medals have been returned in lately.

Can anyone verify that the second one is now the standard capsule for all large medals at PCGS?? Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 9:04AM

My Great Chicago Fire medal uses this style holder but with a much larger center capsule area.

Of note, the gasket has a texture that is quite reflective and a bit distracting to me as it tends to overwhelm the medal.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    My Great Chicago Fire medal uses this style holder but with a much larger center capsule area.

Of note, the gasket has a texture that is quite reflective and a bit distracting to me as it tends to overwhelm the medal.

This looks like the holder for "special coins" so that the holder is a bit wider than the typical oversize holder.

For some items the plastic film holds the item in place without any issues of the prongs of the holder damaging the coin itself.

Here's one of mine, and you can clearly see the fragile cliche is not touching any of the prongs:

• Options

@cardinal said:

@Zoins said:

This looks like the holder for "special coins" so that the holder is a bit wider than the typical oversize holder.

For some items the plastic film holds the item in place without any issues of the prongs of the holder damaging the coin itself.

Here's one of mine, and you can clearly see the fragile cliche is not touching any of the prongs:

Great photo and explanation!

• Options

Here's my Great Fire medal:

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a thread here about the 5 oz ATB pucks and the same size change there.

• Options

Of note, I just picked up a 12oz silver medal that cannot fit into the slab I posted :(

• Options

Here's my Great Fire medal.

this is the style that my submissions have been returning in, so I suppose a re-holder of the older style would come back in one of these.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2020 7:34PM

@keets said:
    Here's my Great Fire medal.

this is the style that my submissions have been returning in, so I suppose a re-holder of the older style would come back in one of these.

Do you have a preference?

• Options

the newer style.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file