Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone have information on this large cent counter stamp?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a nephew who collects that has the exact same initials/name — C Orth. So far I found five large cents with the same stamp. The fonts on all of them match. Here’s a couple of them.

Do anyone have any information on this C Orth person?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I do not know the history but found a few other 1840s and 50s Large Cents with the same counterstamp.

Maybe the Brunk book would have more information? http://richhartzog.com/fs/cm.htm

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    TestoonTestoon Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

There’s one on eBay right now: item number is 313133450406

Bill
    witty quote goes here
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen them on eBay over the years. They appear to be legit (vintage) but I don't know the origin.

By any chance does your nephew have a time machine? :p

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brunk has no additional information on the merchant -- all the c/s are of the same reverse slanted style (Brunk O-118). He lists it found on 11 different dates of large cents + multiples and unknown dates and one example on an 1808 half dollar. It is a common c/s on large cents, I can recall handling at least five and probably more over the years.

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Obviously money for a horse, of corth.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is listed in the online Brunk index under
    Part 3 Letters J-O
    "C. ORTH"
    http://richhartzog.com/art/cmc.htm

And in the real book, @tokenpro has given the details.

• Options

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

@Drizzt said:
    Obviously money for a horse, of corth.

My last name is in serious need of some more syllables!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

hasn't Rich Hartzog been dead for years? Is someone else maintaining his web space?

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 11:39PM

@Barndog said:
    hasn't Rich Hartzog been dead for years? Is someone else maintaining his web space?

Yes, he passed away in December, 2017.

On the home page, it says:

PLEASE BE ADVISED!

Due to the untimely passing of Rich Hartzog, this web site’s creator, the web site has not been maintained in a current status. We are trying to maintain it on a limited basis because it contains a great deal of information useful to many people, including students of numismatics and exonumia. However, price lists, book quotes, and any sort of active offers to buy or sell cannot be honored since Mr. Hartzog is no longer living.

If you have items priced that you would like to offer us we will be happy to respond to your offering. Please send us the information you have on such items to the email address listed, including photographs.

Thank you.

Robert Rhue Numismatics

http://www.richhartzog.com/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the site used to be exonumia.com

It is now richhartzog.com and seems to be maintained by another dealer.

I am glad they kept the info out there.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I think the site used to be exonumia.com

It is now richhartzog.com and seems to be maintained by another dealer.

I am glad they kept the info out there.

You are correct. During the settlement of the estate renewal of the web site name was overlooked but luckily the information was saved intact. It is being maintained privately for public use. The Brunk catalog is still the go to for counterstamps but Rich Hartzog (World Exonumia Press) was the publisher of Brunk so the c/s list is useful. The list of fraternal organizations has saved me many an hour of blind research of obscure acronyms. There are many helpful aspects but the site itself is just being maintained and not updated.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rich used to be a good source for books. He was always interested in buying Julian's "Medals of the United States Mint: The First Century, 1792-1892" and I wouldn't know how to get that book affordably these days (but I am not looking...)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file