Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1820 Bust Quarter Counterstamp: 200 Year Anniversary

1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

For July, let's switch over to exonumia for this month's 200 year bust quarter anniversary.

Below are a couple of counterstamped 1820 quarters, both with reverse stamps (sorry about the pic's).

J. M. TAYLOR / BROKER / CHATHAM ST / COR.JAMES.NY
1820 B-3; BRUNK T-95 ~ From Brunk: "Taylor's stamps are the most often seen merchant countermarks on silver coins. According to the 1854 Brooklyn Directory, his address was 47 Fulton Street. In 1855 his New York office was at 169 Chatham Street and his residence was at 107 East 89th Street. City directories only noted that he was a "broker" in the residential section, and so we are not sure of his work.. This is a bit strange since other brokers were listed as dealing in tobacco, cotton, real estate, etc. It is possible Taylor was a currency dealer as I have seen a bank note that is stamped in ink "J.M. Taylor / Broker / 169 / Chatham Square / N.Y." He seems to have been out of business by 1857 since he did not appear in local business directories after 1856, but was listed in the 1860 census (Hank Thoele)."

T. N. McB
1820 B-1; Not listed in Brunk.
This coin was stamped so deep towards one side that only a partial stamp was made. Due to the angle, one side of the stamp didn't impart any detail. It's difficult to identify the whole counterstamp as it was intended.

Post a picture of an 1820 (or any year) bust quarter counterstamp if you have one.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Comments

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I'll bump this one up for another try...

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file